App to stop SMSs being shortened to 67 characters

AndroidFanUK

Feb 21, 2015
Visit site
Hi All

When I copy and paste a message from e-mail to SMS it gets converted to 67 characters per text rather then the standard 160 characters per text.

Having looked into it the reason for this is is since the copying from e-mail and pasting into SMS process is introducing "Unicode" characters....

- Some Info I found by Googling said:
Unicode phones use a 16-bit character encoding, so each individual concatenated SMS message can hold 67 characters

....since my original message doesn't actually contain any "special" or Unicode characters.

Can anyone help by thinking of a method/workaround or an app which could allow me to strip my messages of the hidden unicode characters that are being introduced.
For example perhaps a simple clipboard app which by using it to copy and paste will strip out the hidden unicode characters?

Thanks for your help

AndroidFanUK

Last edited:

AndroidFanUK

Feb 21, 2015
Visit site
When I copy and paste a message from e-mail to SMS it gets converted to 67 characters per text rather then the standard 160 characters per text.
Can anyone help by thinking of a method/workaround or an app which could allow me to strip my messages of the hidden unicode characters that are being introduced.

I worked out a workaround but not on the phone but where I am sending the e-mail from.

By default I use Gmail with POP from Outlook Express 6.0 and it is on that setup I experienced the problem.

Based on some testing I realised if I instead e-mail my message from within Gmail webmail to my smartphone the format it gets sent in doesn't include the hidden unicode characters.
(With some further testing I managed to work out how to format within Outlook Express as well to ensure the hidden unicode characters don't get added).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana