As we know, S Health is a stock app on Samsung Galaxy Note 3.

Refer to the screenshot of my walking record of last night.
    Some questions about S Health which is a stock app on Samsung Galaxy Note 3-s-health.jpg

I think the steps count, 5698, perhaps is accurate. But are the distance(5.0km) and calories(194Cal) exact, too?

I think that the app maybe should use gps to get a walking track in order to make out a more exact distance data. Is it right?

Btw, I wonder whether we can modify the default steps goal, 10000. I found the default goal is difficult for me. Do you think so?

Thank you in advance.
    03-19-2015 07:37 PM
    1) Pedometers (and that's what the app is acting as) don't use GPS. Why? good question. It could just be one of those "why didn't we think of that" things, or they could want it to work even if you walked through a long tunnel or were walking in a forest after a heavy rain (either of which would cause a problem with GPS).

2) The distance is most likely (I'm guessing - I have the Note 3 but don't use the app) an average - about 2.5 feet per step. If your legs are long or short, it's not accurate. The number of steps? Start it at 0. Walk 100 steps normally. See what it says. If it's between 95 and 105, that's about as good as you can expect. It's not watching your leg with the camera, it's "feeling" the "jolt" of the step. It measures any jolt as a step, and doesn't measure any step that's under it's "this is a step" threshold.

3) The kCal number (it's kilocalories - a calorie is a very small amount, but we call kilocalories "calories" for short) is a little better than a guess. The number of calories you burn depends on your metabolism, the efficiency of your muscles (a couch potato burns a lot more per step than a marathon runner who puts in 10 miles every day), your weight - so many things that you'd get tired filling in the blanks before the app had a hope of being within the ballpark. But if it says you burned twice as many calories today as you did yesterday, that's probably pretty accurate. Meaningless, since you have no idea how many you burned either day, but if you increase the number by 5% every day, you're probably doing things right.
    James Edmunds likes this.
    03-20-2015 08:49 PM
    Thanks for your reply.
    03-22-2015 09:48 PM