Gallery Replacement Apps

Joseph Bozzo

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
I approve of the recent updates in the stock gallery app through the last year, but it's not perfect.

An app that replaces it should
1. Have as little lag as possible
2. Be able to MOVE photos from one album to another
3. Be able to HIDE photos or "SHOW/VIEW" only certain albums (even on SD card)

I was looking at QuickPic, but it's interface is a little wonky. I like that it does both exclude AND hide, but sometimes my pictures disappear and I need to re-add the folders (or just reinstall the app, not sure why)

Also tried Piktures, and that might be my top runner right now. I just wish I could see the albums in gallery style rather than in the smaller swipe window bar thing.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Several other apps have lots of adds or do not even allow you to move pictures to different folders = useless.

Also, the current gallery app cannot hide photos on the SD card, as Private Mode only saves them to the phone and then hides.

Posted via the Android Central App

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
An app that replaces it should
1. Have as little lag as possible
Unless you're running the same phone, with the same version of Android, that the app's developer was when the app was developed, the developer has only a little control over that. An app written for a phone with a fast 64 bit octacore processor, with 3GB of RAM, running on a Gingerbread phone, is going to make a dead snail look fast.

2. Be able to MOVE photos from one album to another
You can use a file manager for that. ("Album" in a photo app, is "folder" in the phone.)

3. Be able to HIDE photos or "SHOW/VIEW" only certain albums (even on SD card)
Trivial. Put a dot as the first character of the file or folder name (then rescan, so Media Scanner doesn't pick the file or folder up). Gallery can do that. (Or, for an entire folder, you can put a file named .nomedia in the folder. It doesn't matter if there's anything in it, as long as there's a file with that name in the folder, the folder won't get scanned.)

I was looking at QuickPic, but it's interface is a little wonky. I like that it does both exclude AND hide, but sometimes my pictures disappear and I need to re-add the folders (or just reinstall the app, not sure why)
Check the folders and see if the files are still there. If they aren't (and I suspect that's the case), look elsewhere for the problem. If it's not showing non-hidden files in folders without a .nomedia file in them, there's something wrong in your phone.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Several other apps have lots of adds or do not even allow you to move pictures to different folders = useless.

Also, the current gallery app cannot hide photos on the SD card, as Private Mode only saves them to the phone and then hides.
Any file or folder with a dot as the first character of the name (in Windows terms, that would be a file or folder with no name, just an extension) is hidden. It doesn't matter where it is.

As for suggestions, after more than 40 years of writing software I've come to the conclusion that the only program (or app) that does exactly what I want is the one I write. (And that's this week - next week I may want it to do things differently.) I've never found a program that does everything the way I want, I've only come close. So either roll your own or accept what's there.

Joseph Bozzo

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for a sufficiently condescending and nearly useless response. I didn't know about putting a dot before the name.

The stock app lags a lot. And last time I checked that I was actually "updated" very recently. I'm on a Galaxy S5.

I'm aware that I can "move" files with file manager. But this is difficult because the thumbnails are tiny and when you're doing a great deal or reorganizing it is not ideal (whereas in the stock gallery app this is actually very easy).

I don't want to be incapable of accessing the photos through apps (such as messaging or Facebook) but they're just the kind of photos/albums that I don't want to have to scroll past ALL the time. So yes, it is relevant.

On QuickPic, yes, the photos were still there on my SD card and phone. The folders were just not populated automatically into the app, not sure why. I had to add every one back manually. I uninstalled and reinstalled and it seems fine. Just odd that it happened. Instead of the folders with pictures coming up automatically, I would just see one large folder with many sub folders, like you see in the Files.

SnowSanta

Apr 1, 2015
Visit site
You can also download Cyanogen Gallery in the playstore. Nothing needed, just press download. Works great.

PS: photo has some dutch language cause it automatically changes to your country

Attachments

• 55967.jpg
    55967.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 11

Joseph Bozzo

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
A lot of these apps, however, do not allow you to move or hide photos that are present on the SD card.

The app Piktures seems to allow you to move photos, and it says they are moved, but they do not move. All the other apps just don't allow it, idk why!

I suppose an option is to copy all the photos from the SD card to my phone and backup now and then... But that is a lot of extra work. I used to use one of the replacement gallery apps and this all worked.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad