15 min market issue.

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I guess you might have not heard that Google has already made it official. I don't think that there is pretty much anything that we could do at this time.

However, that's a great way to let Google know how we feel.

a1Will I Am

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I guess you might have not heard that Google has already made it official. I don't think that there is pretty much anything that we could do at this time.

However, that's a great way to let Google know how we feel.
I did hear that it was made official, I'm hoping that they might reconsider the time limit, 24 hours was a bit much, but they took it way to far to the other end of the spectrum and I was hearing a lot of unhappy feedback about it. So I decided to try and get a valid way to get our opinion out there instead of sitting around grumbling. Glad you like the idea though, spread it around to your android friends plz :)

Last edited:

Maynard

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
Initially I wasn't to concerned about the tryout time change but I got bitten yesterday. I bought an app called "SunDroid" that gives lots of info on moon phases, sunrise/sunset times etc. Lots of screen, lots of options. It wasn't until about 30 minutes after install that I got to the point where I put one of its included widgets on a home screen and then about 2 hours later that I noticed several of my screen widgets were mysteriously disappearing as I scrolled between home screens. Turning phone on and off and re-testing a few times to see if it was a fluke took another half hour. After removing the widget from my screen everything is back to normal but obviously I was WAY outside of that tiny little 15 minute refund window. Oh well, $1.99 down the drain - no biggie, but will I think twice before making another purchase from the marketplace for a non-mainstream or new product? You bet.

bboykin87

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
I've seen in the rating for Need For Speed Shift how someone bought the game then had to download like 96mb before they could play it, and by the time the download finished the game wouldn't run and it was past the 15 min. window... Granted the downloaded it over 3G and the game does recommend downloading over wifi

But 15 min. is definitely way too short, I don't understand why 24 hours was so bad. Were developers complaining that their apps kept getting returned? It's not like you could abuse it and buy the app again and return it

Beezzy

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I hate the 15 min Market return rule!

I got the new ADW launcher and was kinda a skeptic coming from a very happy LauncherPro Plus user. And I'm probably like all Android users who like different ROMS/Themes and don't feel the need to be tied down to any single one of them. Well I used to love the 24 hr rule, cause I tried the original ADW launcher and played with it for bout 12 hours then returned it and didn't like it. Then I saw the post on AC on ADW EX, and played with it for 12 min before I returned it because I tried to play with as much as I could and didn't wanna waste the $3 cause I felt so rushed bout the 15 min rule! I wanna send an email to google for at least some time that's more than 15 min (maybe an hour or two?) To have to play with a certain app. 15 is not even enough time to think if you like the app.

Sorry bout the ramble, but does anyone else agree?

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

a1Will I Am

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I've seen in the rating for Need For Speed Shift how someone bought the game then had to download like 96mb before they could play it, and by the time the download finished the game wouldn't run and it was past the 15 min. window... Granted the downloaded it over 3G and the game does recommend downloading over wifi

But 15 min. is definitely way too short, I don't understand why 24 hours was so bad. Were developers complaining that their apps kept getting returned? It's not like you could abuse it and buy the app again and return it
The problem was people buying the game and beating in the 24 hour window, not fair to the developers to be sure. Reduction of demo time was needed, no doubt about THAT. However, once again, the reduction was FAR to drastic. an hour or two is a good window. a quarter of an hour? Unreasonable.

DenverRalphy

Retired Network Mod
May 11, 2010
Visit site
The problem was people buying the game and beating in the 24 hour window, not fair to the developers to be sure. Reduction of demo time was needed, no doubt about THAT. However, once again, the reduction was FAR to drastic. an hour or two is a good window. a quarter of an hour? Unreasonable.

You hear this a lot, but Google has never made any mention of this, and I for one doubt that was the issue. It literally takes a maximum of 3 minutes after downloading an app to do a backup of it (if you hustle anyway), then refund it.

Myself as a merchant who processes hundreds of credit-card transactions a day (and on a good day over 1000), I can assure you that credit card transactions cost money for the merchant. And on top of that, voiding and refunding a transaction to the consumer counts towards your transaction count as well. So consider Google who more than likely processes millions of transactions each day from their Android Market, probably has an accountant on staff somewhere who noted that a relatively good chunk of change could be saved if you cut down drastically on the number of refund transactions. There's always some toadie in the Loss Prevention department who finds a way to save a few coins.

MacGuyInNC

Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
The irony is that this is meant to cut down on the users who took advantage of being able to buy an app, use it for a short while to do what they need to do, then uninstall to get the refund.

But the people doing just that know exactly which app they want, and they're probably done with the app well short of the 15 minutes anyway. It's the users who aren't sure of whether the app will work for them who are penalized by this policy.

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I see that this will always be on ongoing issue for many. Unfortunately, Google has already made the final decision on that. It's official - either we accept it or not.

Maynard

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
I don't believe your card is actually charged until after the refund window has closed.. I've only done two refunds but they have never shown up on my statement as a charge and a credit. I believe within the refund window Google just cancels it.

kzibart

May 20, 2010
Visit site
If they want such a small window, it shouldn't start until installation is successful or first launch. I realize that's harder to determine, but it would reduce the chances of not even being able to try the app until after the window expires, like was the case with a recent purchase I made.

From now on, I am considering all purchases final, which makes me more hesitant to purchase anything. It sucks, but those dollars add up and there's a lot of crap out there.

MacGuyInNC

Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
I see that this will always be on ongoing issue for many. Unfortunately, Google has already made the final decision on that. It's official - either we accept it or not.

There's always the alternative: the iPhone. Their market has a grace period on their app purchases, right?

Oh wait... They don't. :p

Hey, 15 minutes is better than nothing.

DenverRalphy

Retired Network Mod
May 11, 2010
Visit site
There's always the alternative: the iPhone. Their market has a grace period on their app purchases, right?

Oh wait... They don't. :p

Hey, 15 minutes is better than nothing.
If the Android Market offered a QA service like Apple does, and not just any wanna-be developer could dump garbage/malicious/defective apps in the market, then I'd agree with you. Without it, there needs to be a respectable grace period.

bboykin87

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
I was already very selective with buying apps (had my EVO for 4 months and only have 4 paid apps, Tasker, Tapatalk Pro, SetCPU, and Need For Speed Shift cause it's $0.99 now) but now it makes me want to spend money on an app even less,a nd if I find some small quirk I would return it immediately w/o trying to figure out a workaround or trying to contact the developer, or just waiting to see if it wasn't that big of a deal...

I'm probably the minority here, but what little money I would have spent in the market has all but disappeared

thomasanderson

Oct 31, 2009
Visit site
I think the only way to get this resolved is for someone to corner one of the Google big wigs during an interview or something in front of a camera and ask them how they will address all of their users concerns about this issue. That way forcing them to address it in some way and soon. Until then, I think all the forum rants and petitions will continue to be ignored. Seems like robbery to me to charge people for apps that arent compatible with their phone.

People keep stating that Apple has no refund window, but Apple has trial versions of damn near any app thats for sale. And if you download an app(sometimes taking a lot longer than 15 min) that is incompatible with your iphone you simply click on "report a problem" in your invoice and your money "is" refunded. I dont think we'll ever know why Google really did this, but it really was a low blow to all of us Android enthusiast on the consumer end.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non