MMS/SMS Software

coachpelkey

Man of La Mancha
Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I have been reading alot on here about the best mms/sms software for my android, but I am curious to get the best bang for the buck.

I do not mind paying for a good app, but at the same time, is it really worth it.

I have an optimus S through sprint, and currently use CHOMP SMS.

I tried handcent, and go SMS, but is there anything else?

MMS/PIC mail is rather slow through chomp....but maybe I am doing something wrong...

I would appreciate the feedback, yes just another another "...would you rather have this or that..." I know...

But, forgive me, I am a noob to android, coming from a htc touch pro 2.

Thanks

Coach

DenverRalphy

Retired Network Mod
May 11, 2010
Visit site
Those are the big 3 of text messaging apps for Android. If you're looking for the best, it'll be one of those three.

That being said... I prefer GO SMS. It's the most recent app thrown into the ring, and has recently pulled me away from Handcent. It takes up less app space on my device, has almost all the features that used to sway me towards Handcent, the ui and operation is more polished and crisp, and yet is still in its infant stage of development. The developers are actively working on it, and it's obvious there's some major talent behind the development.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Go SMS does look like a cool app. I'm a loyal Handcent fan, but maybe I'll try it out.

Coach - is there anything specifically you feel you are missing out on? I had a TP2 as well, and my experience is that these programs offer far more in the way of SMS/MMS than that phone did.

coachpelkey

Man of La Mancha
Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I got rid of CHOMP and am trying go sms.
I am not sure what I am looking for, just something to waste my time looking and trying to make the best of my optimus.
I would love to get an evo but $$$$ and I am not well ....rich.
So, keep up the great work, I will let you know what I think of go SMS.

Thanks

Otherwise i might go back to handcent, who knows.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
I wish I could get past the mindset that a stock messaging app would be most stable. I tried GO SMS and it is very impressive for an app in its infancy but keep going back to the HTC messaging app cause I'm used to it and want reliability.

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I wish I could get past the mindset that a stock messaging app would be most stable. I tried GO SMS and it is very impressive for an app in its infancy but keep going back to the HTC messaging app cause I'm used to it and want reliability.

I am the same way, which is why I have stuck with the stock text and stock email programs.

baseballfanz

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
Does it not synch with Face book pictures?
I have contact pictures for those that I assign pictures to.
The contacts that show FB pictures are empty

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Does it not synch with Face book pictures?
I have contact pictures for those that I assign pictures to.
The contacts that show FB pictures are empty

The contacts app is what syncs with Facebook. The messaging app should display whatever picture is assigned to the contact inside the contacts app. If you have contacts that aren't getting the FB pic properly, try using the free app, syncmypix to get them.

baseballfanz

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
The contacts app is what syncs with Facebook. The messaging app should display whatever picture is assigned to the contact inside the contacts app. If you have contacts that aren't getting the FB pic properly, try using the free app, syncmypix to get them.
All my FB contact does have pictures when I go into the contact app.
Default messaging client as well as Handcent showed those pictures
Only Go SMS does not.
It's not really a big deal to have pictures in sms or not but will give syncmypic a shot in the near future.

baseballfanz

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
Yes it has the icon. I have enable show contact pictures.
I'm running CyanogeMod but I don't think that should matter,
Like I said contact picts work in default and handcent.
I'll play around with it more.

ivangorod

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Like you coach I have been on the lookout for a good sms/mms app. I like the stock HTC message app with the exception of the slideshow functionality used for mms. I don't like having to pause the picture to keep it viewale for more than 5 seconds. I've used Handcent for a few weeks now and like it. Only problem with Handcent is that the pics always show up so small. Guess I'll give Go SMS a shot. Hope someone comes out with a really solid app soon.

Arkapigdiesel

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
I started with the stock texting app, then tried Handcent briefly. Went back to the stock SMS/MMS app.

Then, I tried Go SMS.....LOVE IT. Fantastic SMS/MMS app. I've found the one.