Best music player?

cordoni

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I don't like it because the sound quality is not as good as some market apps like Power Amp. But since I used to be a sound engineer, so I notice a lot in music sound quality, which the stock player lacks.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

irish22022

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
pretty sure a good sound engineer would realize that their all the same file types, and eq's on a cell phone are like using a small band aid to cover a bullet wound. it's a joke. you don't need eqs, you need good headphones. And even then, power amp, win amp, whatever the hell you use - they don't actually morph the quality of the track. doesn't change it to some magical power amp file extension where it's any less digitalized.

Cubed is the best free option on the market. If you don't like the cube, you can change the view to morph mode as well simple mode. Very good player, very cool looking, only a little lacking in random areas, but all in all pretty good.

mhans311

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
I've only had my X for about a month, but I have been using Zimly. It has worked pretty well for me. It is free and offers a lot of features. I like the widget and the lock screen controls are nice. It is still in beta, so they release a lot of updates, which gets annoying sometimes. It also has a video player. The only thing it is lacking is an equalizer, but it sounds fine without it. I have found it to be the best free option for me.

Lurch81#AC

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Yeah seen both those on the market just didn't know why there was two
Thanks for this zimly is really nice ui!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Lynx

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
pretty sure a good sound engineer would realize that their all the same file types, and eq's on a cell phone are like using a small band aid to cover a bullet wound. it's a joke. you don't need eqs, you need good headphones. And even then, power amp, win amp, whatever the hell you use - they don't actually morph the quality of the track. doesn't change it to some magical power amp file extension where it's any less digitalized.

Cubed is the best free option on the market. If you don't like the cube, you can change the view to morph mode as well simple mode. Very good player, very cool looking, only a little lacking in random areas, but all in all pretty good.

Wow...I am actually speechless by this lol.

Ok while they are the same file types there is still a significant improvement in the sound quality of the track while using Power Amps EQ vs Stock player. You try to justify what you said all you want, but your incorrect. In fact from my experience the difference is even more noticeable on a higher end set of headphones. I have a pair of Sennheiser HD 595s, Razer Orcas, iBeats, and than some lower end headphones like the ones that come with the ipods and the difference is very noticeable.

irish22022

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
Wow...I am actually speechless by this lol.

Ok while they are the same file types there is still a significant improvement in the sound quality of the track while using Power Amps EQ vs Stock player. You try to justify what you said all you want, but your incorrect. In fact from my experience the difference is even more noticeable on a higher end set of headphones. I have a pair of Sennheiser HD 595s, Razer Orcas, iBeats, and than some lower end headphones like the ones that come with the ipods and the difference is very noticeable.

No need to justify. Playing with the EQ's to get YOURSELF a better sound is fine. Just as long as you realize it's not actually better. It's the exact same song. I can say "well I like hearing songs through AM radios, so poweramp is better because I can do that". Doesn't mean the song sounds any different. You're putting a mask on it.

I took issue with the person saying that sound quality is different between apps. That's flat out wrong. If you have an app that you can toggle presets to get a sound that's better for you, more power to you. As long as you realize you're masking the song, not making the song sound better. If you put things through a compressor, they'll sound tighter, but not as accurate to what the song is SUPPOSED to sound like (which will be difficult to achieve on an MP3 either way).

And of course "the difference was noticeable" between high end and low end headphones. Are YOU serious? Are you implying that the difference ISN'T noticeable when you don't have fancy EQ'S? It's always different, no matter what headphones you have. Thus my saying EQ'S are irrelevant. A good pair of headphones will represent the sound file the correct way. If you don't like that way, then you'll need EQ's. I know the dev of Lithium, and I know the dev of a knew app called justmusic (not out yet)... I know for a fact they don't mess with any magical preamps to make music sound better on their apps. That's preposterous.

My initial comment was against someone who said the sound quality wasn't as good on one app as it is on some other apps. That's flat out wrong. It's the same quality. If you're saying EQ's make the sound better, well, more power to you, I'm sure you like it better. Still the same quality.

Reactions: MowDownJoe

Cliffs71

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I'm really thrilled with Music Mod. It's got several great widgets along with gesture controls and it's free. It also immediately opens the main-folder you were last in instead of exclusively opening only the artist or song (I always like to open the albums folder when I open the app and Music Mod does that- Zimly only opens the songs folder no matter what you did last). I've used a lot of different music players and I can't find anything better than Music Mod.

Arkapigdiesel

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
I'm really thrilled with Music Mod. It's got several great widgets along with gesture controls and it's free. It also immediately opens the main-folder you were last in instead of exclusively opening only the artist or song (I always like to open the albums folder when I open the app and Music Mod does that- Zimly only opens the songs folder no matter what you did last). I've used a lot of different music players and I can't find anything better than Music Mod.
Another big fan of Music Mod.

Lynx

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
No need to justify. Playing with the EQ's to get YOURSELF a better sound is fine. Just as long as you realize it's not actually better. It's the exact same song. I can say "well I like hearing songs through AM radios, so poweramp is better because I can do that". Doesn't mean the song sounds any different. You're putting a mask on it.

I took issue with the person saying that sound quality is different between apps. That's flat out wrong. If you have an app that you can toggle presets to get a sound that's better for you, more power to you. As long as you realize you're masking the song, not making the song sound better. If you put things through a compressor, they'll sound tighter, but not as accurate to what the song is SUPPOSED to sound like (which will be difficult to achieve on an MP3 either way).

And of course "the difference was noticeable" between high end and low end headphones. Are YOU serious? Are you implying that the difference ISN'T noticeable when you don't have fancy EQ'S? It's always different, no matter what headphones you have. Thus my saying EQ'S are irrelevant. A good pair of headphones will represent the sound file the correct way. If you don't like that way, then you'll need EQ's. I know the dev of Lithium, and I know the dev of a knew app called justmusic (not out yet)... I know for a fact they don't mess with any magical preamps to make music sound better on their apps. That's preposterous.

My initial comment was against someone who said the sound quality wasn't as good on one app as it is on some other apps. That's flat out wrong. It's the same quality. If you're saying EQ's make the sound better, well, more power to you, I'm sure you like it better. Still the same quality.

I said the difference in the EQ was more noticeable in high end headsets vs low end headsets thats all. But ya I know it doesnt change the original quality of the sound file, much like photoshopping a picture doesnt change the original quality of the picture.

I have the Lithium player also but Haramitare is very bad about answering questions and supporting the app. However I do think it has the best lock screen widget out of the group and love the color customization of it.

mhans311

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
I have tried Music Mod. I don't really like the interface. It is basically the same as the stock music player. The biggest problem is that I can't sort my music by genre with Music Mod. I do that a lot with Zimly. There are also no lock screen controls. I use those a lot as well with Zimly.

Addie_Goodvibes

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
For me it was the only player that would not lump my ringtones in with my music.

If you store your ringtones in the correct directory your ringtones should not ever show up in your music player.

If you do Not already have a directory on your SD card labeled "media" then create one.
Within it create the following sub-directory
"audio" then within "audio create the following sub directories
alarms
notifications
ringtones

Place your sound files in the correct directories on the SD card and not only will they be out of the music player list they will be recognized as categorized for their intended purpose.
Also be sure you go into settings for your music player and make sure it only pulls music from the folders you tell it to. Meridian has a setting feature where I can select the directories to pull music from. I created a Directory "Music" also have it pull music from "amazonmp3" directory

As far as music players I prefer Meridian. Meridian supports Swipe gestures. Nice UI.
I also use WinAmp like the widget & have been using Winamp for years on my desktop box

I liked PowerAmp , however did not care too much for the tiny control buttons.
tried Mixzing, it was ok not my favorite..

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcosVo