My mom wants to set up her phone so that she can push one icon/button and have emergency medical teams know exactly where she is and that she needs help. She wants them to be able to find her even if she can't speak. Another nice thing would be if she hasn't moved her phone in more than 2 days, that an alert would be sent to me.

What's the best app for that? I'm trying to find the most cost effective app that can do the above for me. Thanks.
    04-21-2015 12:29 AM
    Have you considered Life Alert? (You know, the "Help I've fallen and I can't get up" people.) They're pretty well-established, but it requires a paid subscription to the actual service. I'm a physician, and this is probably the most recommended service of its kind for elderly patients.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-21-2015 01:04 PM
    My mom has Life Alert (or another one of those button services) right now I think. Is it really better than any app she could get that wouldn't have a monthly fee?
    04-21-2015 03:03 PM
    If she already has Life Alert, then I would think the app's full features would be unlocked as part of the monthly cost. It'd be worth checking out.

Posted via Android Central App.
    Please excuse any typos or autocorrect derps.
    04-21-2015 04:32 PM
    You know, maybe it wasn't life alert. Hers isn't an app. It's a physical button she wears around her neck - not part of her phone.

She's trying to find something cheaper, without a monthly fee.
    04-21-2015 08:34 PM
    Life Alert is still primarily the button that the person wears around the neck. I suspect it'll be hard to find something like that which is not subscription-based

Calling 911 essentially does what you're asking about, although it's obviously a bit drastic. If you dial 911 and don't speak, authorities can localize your phone and send help.
    04-21-2015 09:03 PM
    Thanks a lot. Why do people even get medical alert if 911 does the same thing?
    04-21-2015 09:19 PM
    It's sad, but depending on where you are, 911 might not be as quick. Cities that are strapped for cash (Detroit, most infamously) have been known to have significantly longer response times due to reduced funding and staffing of emergency services. In addition, it also requires the person to find their cellphone, turn it on, and make the emergency call. Life Alert (and similar services) just have a single button to press around the neck or on the wrist.
    chocolateyum likes this.
    04-21-2015 10:05 PM