Hi all,

I'm using an iPhone currently and I use iMessage with friends because it's instant, you can share location, pictures, voice memos, videos etc. I use iMessage rather than global apps like whatsapp, viber, tango, bbm etc because iMessage doesn't broadcast to everyone that you're online which is something I want - a instant messaging app using Internet rather than messages but kind of without showing online to all your contacts. I also use whatsapp so whatsapp is out of the question as an alternative even if u can switch to be showing online as off.
    The reason why I ask is ill be soon making the jump to android but the only thing that's stopping me is this as my friends have iphones. If there are no alternatives I may stop from jumping to android just solely for that purpose because it is really important I am able to find an alternative. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks
    04-24-2015 11:39 PM
    Are you serious?

Ask all your friends to install Hangouts. That's Android's iMessage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    04-25-2015 07:28 AM
    04-25-2015 08:11 AM
    If you use Hangouts, there is a Share Your Status option for Hangouts IM that you can adjust or turn off completely. So no one needs to know that you're online. You can also still use SMS through Hangouts to communicate with people who use iPhones.

If being able to communicate with your friends entirely in the iMessage realm is crucial to you, then I suggest just sticking with iPhones. Apple doesn't really play very nice with others when it comes to iMessage--there are frequent issues when people transition from iPhone to Android and forget to turn off their iMessage account.
    04-25-2015 08:03 PM