I am considering using one of these programs as a Dialer replacement. I would be interested in thoughts from actual users as to the strengths and weaknesses of each program. Thanks much!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    01-06-2011 11:57 AM
    I've used aTakephone for a couple years, starting in Palm world..and loved it there, love the support...but finally abandoned it and use Dialer One now. Does everything I want nice and quick without using a lot of memory and all. It just works. That said, if I got to where I didn't like it, I'd take a fresh look at aTakephone which has had a couple updates recently.
    01-06-2011 04:49 PM
    Youlu is by far the best looking dialer available. That being said, though it's been passed around the US community lately, make no mistake about it: It's been a long time since we've gotten an update. There is no * or # key, which means it's not even a complete dialer. There's no facebook support. It's a dialer that you wish had a good, dedicated dev behind it, but it just isn't.

Dialerone and aTakephone are just too much like the stock for it to be worth my time.

Fact is, I'm on the Droidx, and I think the stock is just as good as any.
    01-06-2011 09:01 PM
    I'm a aTakephone user for many years (Palm-world, etc.) and liking it quite a bit (including the widget). The support is fantastic!
    If something better comes along I'll take a look, but for now that's my story and I'm sticking with it

Side note: I just noticed that Youlu did have an update as of today:
    "Updated on 06/01/2011:
    1.SMS feature added: support for text messaging, SMS favorites and new SMS list.
    2.USSD support added with * and # buttons on dialpad.
    3.Latin language search is supported in Youlu Address book.
    4.Improved sorting of address book search results.
    5.MOTO XT800 now supported."
    01-07-2011 07:50 AM
    I actually had both. Youlu is free and aTakephone is running for $3.16. I really wasn't that impressed with aTakephone. Yes youlu doesn't have # or * on the pad (!!??), but I am still using it.
    01-07-2011 11:16 AM
    ha, of course, the day I claim there are no updates, they make one.

Me, FTL.

I'm going to redownload it I guess. I don't remember if they do facebook picture support or not.
    01-07-2011 02:30 PM
    Yes, they support with facebook pics.

The sms thing is weird. The weird thing is, I don't hate the SMS client, either. It's simple and light. Just wish I had the option to choose, and of course, the sms app needs a lot more customization.

The big problem with youlu is their support. I can't even complain about anything. I can send feedback through settings, but it's failing right now, and who knows if they even speak english. For an app like this, to not have a presence on xda is a joke. Remember what xda did for Miren browser? Made it more popular everywhere else then it was in even China.

If anyone finds an email address, I hope they pass that knowledge on.

And of course, plenty of bugs still. Hanging up a call brings me to my stock dialer, rather then youlu. Contact info needs to show more then just a phone number (ie email, facebook, birthday, etc...), and clicking on the envelope should launch whatever sms app you want.

They have the correct keys finally, but still, a few updates away from being anywhere close to my default. They shouldn't be packaging the sms and phonebook in one app either, I don't want one but I have to get it either way? Seems silly.
    01-07-2011 03:03 PM
    I chose aTakePhone over Youlu. Yesterday I d/l Youlu and saw that when I rec'd an sms, it displayed on my home screen. It bypassed my Handcent settings. I couldn't find any setting in Youlu to disable this as I have some msgs that I prefer to be private.

Up until I found this out, Youlu was a great competitor. I really liked the layout.
    01-07-2011 03:38 PM
    You just need to look in your app drawer, go to youlu messaging (not the phone book), then you can change the settings from there. Just disable all of the options, as you probably already have a different sms client installed.

If that's the only issue with it, then there's no reason to stay away from youlu.
    01-07-2011 09:21 PM
    Youlu is by far the best looking dialer available. That being said, though it's been passed around the US community lately, make no mistake about it: It's been a long time since we've gotten an update. There is no * or # key, which means it's not even a complete dialer.
    Update. Son of a Gun. They must have read your post cuz yesterday it update and ! * and # were added. Also, if my memory doesn't deceive me, they included a text app with the update. I still prefer handcent SMS, but it's a nice lil' txt app.
    01-11-2011 12:10 PM
    Personally I like Takephone, epecially like the custom searching and the little i-bar for favorites.

Shimon who does aTakephone is a great developer. He follows the forums and responds quicly to questions, bug reports and feature requests. You can get aTakephone from his website shsh.com directly and get 30 days free trial lasat i checked.
    01-12-2011 03:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD