How much data is used by IM on data? I ask because my carrier has a 5gb limit. Any recommended Alps for IM?
    01-06-2011 09:58 PM
    You would have to chat a ton plus send/receive a lot of email to hit 5GB in a month.

If you were emailing (and receiving) big attachments, or streaming a lot of music, you might get close. If you're streaming video, or tethering to your laptop then you would want to "watch out".

I can't imagine hitting anywhere near 5GB if you're just IM'ing.

01-07-2011 08:53 AM
    Just keep tract of your data with either an app (Netcounter) or checking with the carrier online.
    01-07-2011 09:24 AM
    I wouldn't even come close to worrying about IMing exceeding your 5gb a month.

EDIT: For a round about number, normal to heavy usage would most likely be around 50mb-100mb.
    01-07-2011 09:29 AM
    Ya you should be good like the other poster said using the internet I really wouldn't do unless you have an unlimited internet plan but I use my phone for everything I live on my phone any chance I get I'm checking what people say or respond to me and I use the internet to download my files and roms and when i had ATT I used there 2gb data plan in maybe 8 hours or 1day so just check on it periodically ya it a pain in the a$$ but hey it saves you money but if your just using I'm all day you should be really ok

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    01-07-2011 09:35 AM
    Well I can use wiring at home, so that helps. I only use it for weather, forums like this, facebook and IM. Thanks for the help and pointing me to the.counter apparently.
    01-07-2011 10:07 AM
    If you're not downloading tons of things each day..then you don't have anything to worry about.
    01-07-2011 10:18 AM
    Kinda geeky, but you would have to average more than 165MB per day to go over the 5BG cap. Unless you are downloading a lot of video, streaming a lot of music, downloading podcasts or using a data-intensive app, you won't hit those numbers easily.

Plus, if you are using wifi at all, those times will not use any of your data allotment.
    01-08-2011 02:57 PM
    The closest I've ever come to hitting 5GB was 2, and that was during a period of time when I was away from WiFi for an extended period (over two weeks) and streaming a lot of YouTube videos and doing a decent amount of web browsing.
    01-08-2011 03:10 PM
    I use tons of data TONS but like 85% is on wifi so to verizon doesn't look like i use much at all lol
    01-08-2011 07:17 PM