New calendar view sucks, dots on each day are useless. How can I get rid of the dots?

A

AC Question

New calendar view sucks, dots on each day are useless

This is not a question, but a rant. The new calendar view is terrible. Prior to Lollipop I could look at the week/month and tell when multi-day events began and ended, I could see when I had more than two events on a given day, and I could tell what almost every event was because I could read at least the first part of the title. Now all I see from the month view is a bunch of dots on days when there is an event. How many events do I have scheduled for that day? Do any of them start or end on a different day? There is no way to know now unless I click on each day, and peck around my calendar for all these bits of data. Information I had at a glance before is now hidden and more annoying to access. How is this an improvement? Also, I don't own an iPhone, but I'm told this is similar to the iPhone calendar. If true, it makes even less sense that Android would move to this format, as I would think they'd be trying to differentiate themselves from Apple, not copy them. At the very least, Android could provide an option to toggle to the old way of viewing the calendar.

I'm sure no one will read this, but I had to say my piece somewhere. I can't comprehend how the developers didn't see this change as decreasing utility. Definitely frustrating as I use this app a lot, and downloading a third party calendar app is not something I wanted to waste time on (but I guess I have to now). -1 for Android.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: New calendar view sucks, dots on each day are useless

Welcome to Android Central! I read your post.:)

Which device do you have? On my Nexus 5 running the Google Calendar app, I see what you're talking about--but that might be what you call the quick view, when you swipe down from the top, regardless of the main calendar view. To see what you want to see, swipe in from the left, and tap Month for the month view. That's where you'll see the detail you're looking for.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
Re: New calendar view sucks, dots on each day are useless

This is not a question, but a rant. The new calendar view is terrible. Prior to Lollipop I could look at the week/month and tell when multi-day events began and ended, I could see when I had more than two events on a given day, and I could tell what almost every event was because I could read at least the first part of the title. Now all I see from the month view is a bunch of dots on days when there is an event. How many events do I have scheduled for that day? Do any of them start or end on a different day? There is no way to know now unless I click on each day, and peck around my calendar for all these bits of data. Information I had at a glance before is now hidden and more annoying to access. How is this an improvement? Also, I don't own an iPhone, but I'm told this is similar to the iPhone calendar. If true, it makes even less sense that Android would move to this format, as I would think they'd be trying to differentiate themselves from Apple, not copy them. At the very least, Android could provide an option to toggle to the old way of viewing the calendar.

I'm sure no one will read this, but I had to say my piece somewhere. I can't comprehend how the developers didn't see this change as decreasing utility. Definitely frustrating as I use this app a lot, and downloading a third party calendar app is not something I wanted to waste time on (but I guess I have to now). -1 for Android.

try the Jorte App. 4x5 Month Widget.

butron

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
I had the exact problem and same opinion until .... I forced an update of the Calendar app and voila! ... clicking on the upper left bars and selecting month will give an IMPROVED version of the "old" calendar view.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma