Parallel apps for Droid and BlackBerry?

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys,

I am an extreme Droid newb, I've only had my X for about 3 days now, so forgive my ignorance. I am coming from the Storm 2 and was wondering if there are parallel apps on Droid that my BB has.

For instance, I had SocialScope on my BB, but TweetDeck is very close to it on the Droid, so I don't really miss SS.

But are there parallel apps for Droid like BeBuzz, Poynt, and Quicklaunch? I looked a little while online and in the Market, but I don't really even know what to search for, so I was wondering if any of you seasoned Droid experts coming from BlackBerry might be able to assist me.

Thanks so much for any help!!

Tre Lawrence

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Check out Blink for LED customization.

Poynt is in the market.

There are a number of widgets and third party apps that can help you do what Quick Launch did... Minimalistic Text comes to mind...

Xopher

Trusted Member
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
I think the only app I haven't found a solid replacement for is Berry Weather.

There are a lot of weather widgets (currently liking Fancy Widets), but none that seem to let you change local weather stations, include radar, weather/web cams, and weather alerts.

Many of the widgets seem to just link back to accuweather and google's websites for radar and other data, which doesn't have as nice a graphic look to it like Berry Weather. I also liked that BW had multiple radar maps, so I could see the local radar, national radar, GPS-based radar, and so on.

For now, I've linked Fancy Widgets to Accuweather Quick, which gives me regional radar. The search continues....

DenverRalphy

Retired Network Mod
May 11, 2010
Visit site
I think the only app I haven't found a solid replacement for is Berry Weather.

There are a lot of weather widgets (currently liking Fancy Widets), but none that seem to let you change local weather stations, include radar, weather/web cams, and weather alerts.

Weatherbug, while was always total crap on the BB, is actually quite good on android and has all those features. While I miss the customization of BerryWeather's radar, WeatherBug's radar is pretty good (especially as you can change what info you're looking from the radar map), but I usually complement it with the Radar Maps app.

Xopher

Trusted Member
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
I have mixed feelings about Weatherbug. Yes, it has all the right information, but I really don't like the blue background. The interface makes me think I am looking at something at least 10 years old. When you compare it to Fancy Widgets or Beautiful Widgets, both of those have a very nice graphic layout, which was one of the things I really liked about Berry Weather.

Yeah, I know I'm being picky. I'll use Weatherbug for now as a secondary weather source (Weatherbug clock widget just doesn't compare to other widgets in aesthetics).

It just means I continue to use 2-3 different apps to get the look and functionality.

Chrisy

Banned
Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Good threads for BlackBerry converts. Any help with parallels for these apps is appreciated:

Drive Safe.ly (reads emails as they arrive)

Documents To Go (Word, Excel)

CaptureIt (screen shot; not rooted)

Slacker Radio

Grocery Shopping List

Thanks for any help!

DenverRalphy

Retired Network Mod
May 11, 2010
Visit site
Drive Safe.ly (reads emails as they arrive)

Documents To Go (Word, Excel) - Docs 2 Go is available for Android

CaptureIt (screen shot; not rooted) - Shoot Me is a screencap app, note that only the HTC EVO (and it's various derivatives) can screenshot without root.

Slacker Radio - Slacker is also on Android

Grocery Shopping List - There are tons of shopping list apps. Grocery King is specific to grocery shopping.

Comparable apps in bold.

Tre Lawrence

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Drive Safe.ly has an Android port. Should be on the market.

And Denver is right: there are literally hundreds of shopping apps.

As a rule of thumb, there is an app alternative for most BB apps.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon