Bloat Freezer - Freeze your Preinstalled System Apps

digmys

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I mentioned that i was working on this earlier and I JUST published it on the Market (so it might take a while for it to show up). Here is the description I put on the Market, I'll be taking suggestions, bug reports, questions, anything here or Email/PM me. I can also offer a Free version to the first few people who PM me requesting one to help me solve some bugs! Hope you guys find it useful!

- REQUIRES ROOT
- Android 1.6-2.3+
- Problem? Email BloatFreezer@gmail.com

The ONLY tool available that can Freeze ALL of your pre-installed system bloatware apps! Even Freezes Amazon MP3 which Titanium Backup cannot Freeze! Freeze any protected system app with one click and prevent it from running in the background downloading data and killing your battery when you don't even use it!

Freezing an app prevents it from running constantly in the background on its own and pretty much makes it invisible to the system. With a simple Defrost a frozen app will be right back to the way it was before freezing.

Deleting/Uninstalling system apps will NEARLY ALWAYS prevent you from ever getting OTA updates on your phone again. Freezing allows you to get the same benefits as uninstalling while allowing you to Defrost at anytime to get an OTA update or use the frozen app.

Please report ANY bugs (force closes, not working as expected, weird graphic errors) to the email address above and we will do our best to quickly fix them BEFORE reviewing.

bloat-freezer-root-06-1.jpg
bloat-freezer-root-06-2.jpg

QR Code
chart

Last edited:

digmys

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I don't enough posts to send a PM, but I would still like to help test this out! It sounds promising.

Send me an email BloatFreezer@gmail.com with the email your phone is registered to and I will add you as a tester and send the Apk.

NOTE: that this is only Free for people that are going to provide feedback and help me track down any bugs, if you take a license and disappear, the license will be deactivated.

Last edited:

digmys

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Receiving some reports of users getting Number of Apps Loaded: 0

Mainly on Droid X's, looking into it right now, if you are experiencing this please contact me immediately.

digmys

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
How about making one for non-rooted phones...that would be awesome.

That would be really awesome if it were possible. Unfortunately there is a lo that goes on behind the scenes with the file system that needs root access to make this possible.

I have received reports that it works fine even with temporary root that unroots your phone after a reboot. It looks like you have an EVO which can be temporarily rooted with the z4 root app, you should look into that.

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
That would be really awesome if it were possible. Unfortunately there is a lo that goes on behind the scenes with the file system that needs root access to make this possible.

I have received reports that it works fine even with temporary root that unroots your phone after a reboot. It looks like you have an EVO which can be temporarily rooted with the z4 root app, you should look into that.
I've always feel like rooting my EVO isn't necessary. Maybe when I get another one - then maybe I'll think about it.

Thanks anyway.

JimA

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
With the update coming out, I was able to reduce a bunch of bloat on my Droid X. I successfully froze the following Apps:
3g Mobile Hotspot
Amazon Kindle
Amazon MP3
Backup Assistant
City ID
FM Radio
Madden NFL 11
My Verizon Mobile
Skype Mobile
VZ Navigator

I booted and everything is still good. Using z4root. As I understand it, its actually a bad idea to delete the bloat, especially if you want to update later on... So this is an awesome program that actually works. Five Stars.

digmys

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Update to fix issues on the Droid X and other Moto phones is now live in the Market.

No other bugs are currently known.

Would like to get this tested on a Galaxy S device so if anyone is out there with one and wants to be a tester let me know.

digmys

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
If you're rooted, why don't you just remove the apps instead of freezing them? That's what I did.

Are you using a Custom Rom or a stock Rom? If you are using a stock Rom you will NEVER be able to get OTA updates again. So far all carriers check to make sure all these apps are still there or the OTA check fails and you can't get the update until you go find all the Apks you deleted and put them back and set all the Unix permissions correctly.

With Bloat Freezer and Titanium Backup Premium you just defrost the apps you froze, get the OTA update, and then refreeze the apps you don't want running.

I would suggest you immediately try to find and restore all the apps you deleted and then look into a freezing solution such as Bloat Freezer or TB Premium.

JimA

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Want to know why its better to freeze than delete? I had previously uninstalled Blockbuster using root explorer. This morning I tried to reload it following very specific instructions (see the post link below). It bricked my X. I had to do a hard reset, wipe everything, and reinstall all the software. That's why I really like Bloat Freezer. After I got everything up and running, I reinstalled the updated bloat freezer, and it works... I'm a believer... Freeze On!

http://forum.androidcentral.com/android-applications/53493-blockbuster-booboo.html

Last edited:

digmys

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Looking for more EVO users rooted with z4 temp root to help test a bug that is causing the phone to reboot. Current EVO z4 users that purchased the app and have helped with any testing or that are experiencing the bug and would like to help, will get a full refund for your help, just contact me.

JimA

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Three more reasons I like this app... First, great support. Second, if you freeze adservice, no more ads!!! I removed adfree and its continual updating... Third, my Droid X boots super fast now. I mean less than half a minute... I'm coming from the 10 minute reboots on BB Storm so this is fast!

digmys

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Update now in the market to address Z4 rooted EVOs, minor bugs, and to improve stability.

Galaxy Tab support also confirmed!