Hey I know that there are many former BB users on here (myself included), and thought you would want to know that tetherberry has become tether and you can now sign up for an android beta (at least sign up and be notified in the future about it).

Here is the link...

Android Beta Test | Tether

~Chuck
    01-08-2010 09:50 AM
    why? just pay 29 us dollars and get pda net. its good for life. no monthly charges. works great.
    01-08-2010 09:58 AM
    and you can continue using pdanet for free but it blocks https ports
    01-08-2010 10:00 AM
    Not to mention the $20 price difference.
    01-08-2010 10:04 AM
    and you can continue using pdanet for free but it blocks https ports
    blocks after 30 days of using the free version. if u pay the 29 it doesnt block anything.
    01-08-2010 10:37 AM
    i was searching market last night for "pdanet" and only the free version came up, couldn't even find the other one. But it appears that for non https connections, I can tether for $0 cost... Has the paid version of pdanet been removed or is it under a diff name?

Also, for those brave souls, some of the cooked roms for rooted droids have tethering working as well (unfortunately at the expense of other bugs like breaking the brightness settings, but im sure soon it will be perfectly worked out).
    01-08-2010 10:45 AM
    i was searching market last night for "pdanet" and only the free version came up, couldn't even find the other one. But it appears that for non https connections, I can tether for $0 cost... Has the paid version of pdanet been removed or is it under a diff name?

Also, for those brave souls, some of the cooked roms for rooted droids have tethering working as well (unfortunately at the expense of other bugs like breaking the brightness settings, but im sure soon it will be perfectly worked out).
    its inside the free version,there are options in the free version to purchase. fyi.
    01-08-2010 10:48 AM
    i paid about a month ago. kinda weary of the 29 bucks. but i am sooo glad i did it.i actually have faster speeds than i did with wifi at my house. unbelievable but true. another fyi. lol
    01-08-2010 10:50 AM
    thanks droid for the clarification. So I'm guessing that if you abused tethering (i.e. used it all the time and thus your data usage was through the roof), that might in theory catch verizon's attention? I know there's nothing illegal about using that application but I also know that verizon had stated that to do tethering would be an extra 30 bucks a month and this is all for data. I guess maybe verizon or some other carrier can come down on google and ask them to remove it from market like they have with other tethering apps. But for those of us that have downloaded it already, i guess we're good to go
    01-08-2010 10:57 AM
    ya,also i actually did abuse it last month.lol just to see if i was going to be charged extra or get in trouble from verizon,and i called tech support to ask why my internet was slow(its not) and they had no idea i was tethering. i told them i watch movies and youtube all the time.(on my phone) i used about 7 gb last month. jus another fyi. so i think its all good.
    01-08-2010 11:03 AM
    i paid about a month ago. kinda weary of the 29 bucks. but i am sooo glad i did it.i actually have faster speeds than i did with wifi at my house. unbelievable but true. another fyi. lol
    Agreed, I was getting like 5meg download using PDAnet, I was amazed.
    01-08-2010 11:10 AM
    I have been using PDAnet for a while now...it is awesome. Actually just cancelled my broadband card today!!
    01-08-2010 02:52 PM
    I know there's nothing illegal about using that application but I also know that verizon had stated that to do tethering would be an extra 30 bucks a month and this is all for data.
    Technically it's against your TOS to use any 3rd party tethering app. But as long as you don't hit that 5B limit, they probably won't get suspicious
    01-08-2010 03:37 PM
    Technically it's against your TOS to use any 3rd party tethering app. But as long as you don't hit that 5B limit, they probably won't get suspicious
    true, but i still cant see why an unlimited plan is ...well.. limited. lol
    01-08-2010 04:14 PM
    Its 2010. Everyone loves to set caps.

Are there any carriers out there that don't set a cap on data?
    01-08-2010 04:40 PM
    Tmobile's is 10GB lol. Sprint doesn't have a cap on 4G usage with their 3G/4G data card so maybe everyone will follow suit when LTE and 4G roll out. On a sidenote, if you're on a grandfathered alltel data card plan, those are unlimited.
    01-08-2010 05:08 PM
    Thanks for the replies guys, I will give pda net another look...
    01-08-2010 10:53 PM
    You guys think my Blackberry version of Tether (used to be TetherBerry) will work on Android? Or I would need two separate license. I would think I would only need one because they sent emails out saying they will no longer using Blackberry PINs. But I could be wrong.
    01-08-2010 11:14 PM
    Tmobile's is 10GB lol. Sprint doesn't have a cap on 4G usage with their 3G/4G data card so maybe everyone will follow suit when LTE and 4G roll out. On a sidenote, if you're on a grandfathered alltel data card plan, those are unlimited.
    With their unlimited data plans on the phones (i.e. Pre plan), it's unlimited, but on the data cards (3G), it's 5G.. 4G data might be unlimited, I won't know until they roll it out in my area.. Might get their new Overdrive when my data card is due up..
    01-08-2010 11:28 PM
    I got an unsolicited link to the Android Tetherberry Beta tonight. So I installed it without any difficulty and I'm using it right now to type this message. It seems they've just added an "Android USB" button to the old Tetherberry program. It works fine, if a little slow. But it certainly beats paying some hotel 15 a day just to use my notebook when I'm on the road. Although there is a Bluetooth connection button in the program, it doesn't seem to work for Android phones.

The Beta seems to be free. I don't know how long that will last. If I have to pay for a Tether app, it better have working Bluetooth.
    03-09-2010 09:22 PM
    EasyTether Lite is available via Android Market. At present it does not block https sites, though it will start in future.
    The paid EasyTether costs only $9.95 and is also available via Android Market
    03-17-2010 10:50 AM
    I had PdaNet for palm for years and loved it. I believe it turned off the "flag' that goes up when you try to tether your phone to your laptop, hence negating the need for Verizon's 15/month additional "tethering" plan. Verizon used to charge users $15/month to tether; PdaNet was a one-time fee of $24. I never had a increased data usage charge using this app.
    03-17-2010 06:22 PM
    I wonder how this will work if you have tether already for another device. Shouldn't we be able to transfer it over? I hope so.
    03-17-2010 11:52 PM
    I wonder how this will work if you have tether already for another device. Shouldn't we be able to transfer it over? I hope so.
    Thats what I've been wondering..I won a copy over at CB a while back, and now that I'm on droid I've been looking for a way to transfer the account over to this phone..

I think once android is out of beta they will let me, since now they go by registration numbers instead of PINs
    03-19-2010 10:38 AM
    You guys think my Blackberry version of Tether (used to be TetherBerry) will work on Android? Or I would need two separate license. I would think I would only need one because they sent emails out saying they will no longer using Blackberry PINs. But I could be wrong.
    I too had Tetherberry for my BB and was wondering the same thing. When they sent me my invite for the beta they also sent an email that said the android version would be a seperate purchase and not transferrable from my bb purchase.

The email stated staff went back and forth about it for a while, but finally in the end decided it would be a seperate purchase and not transferrable.

I was very disappointed to hear that.

Drootz
    11-10-2010 02:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD