I'm pretty sure that everyone is testing out the new Google Photos app and trying to find out all the new features and changes. Figured I start a thread so all of info is in 1 spot rather than reading through a bunch of articles.

Imma get you guys started:

1.) Assistant = This is the new hub for all auto awesome suggestion based off of the photos you upload. As of now, I have received mostly animation and collage. Havent received any album, movie, stories suggestion yet. Also, you have the option to save it or not. I believe you can edit their suggestion, but I havent tried it yet.
    2.) Video, Creation (all your auto awesome), and google drive menu that used to be under the hamburger side menu moved to the bottom of of the search page
    3.) Auto-enhanced is missing
    4.) You can create your own album, movie, story, animation, and collage under the "+" button on the top right hand corner. I think it was movie, motion and mix before. Correct me if im wrong.

Feel free to add more and upload before/after pic of how the app change.
    05-29-2015 11:34 AM
    One quick point for me - my photospheres don't appear to work correctly in a browser window (from a PC, etc), but work fine on my phone.

Only other issue I have: my Drive usage stats still reflect my G+ Photos. Does anyone know a way to migrate them to the new service exclusively so I can free up that Drive space?

Eric "GuitarEC"
    05-29-2015 11:40 AM
    I turned it on overnight and told it to sync my camera folder with pics and videos. It said it was syncing 33,000 something files and didn't. I got an error saying it couldn't even upload the first video that was well under the maximum file size. Trying again...I'd think it could handle that many files, but who knows. I was just wanted to have a spare backup incase my hard drive and spare backup were ever toasted somehow. Looks promising once I can get it to work.
    05-29-2015 11:54 AM
    One quick point for me - my photospheres don't appear to work correctly in a browser window (from a PC, etc), but work fine on my phone.

Only other issue I have: my Drive usage stats still reflect my G+ Photos. Does anyone know a way to migrate them to the new service exclusively so I can free up that Drive space?

Eric "GuitarEC"
    I'm assuming that your G+ Photos were set on "Original" and not 2048 x 2048 size. From what I'm getting from other people comments, those will still count against your Drive space. Only the pictures you upload from this point forward will not count against your Drive space if you opt-in for the "high quality" option. If you are still setup as "Original", even if the new photos fit into the new criteria of being under 16MP, it will still count against your Drive space (since it will not be compressed)

Of course, this is all speculations at this point. We will have to wait a week or 2 for this whole new system to figure itself out.
    05-29-2015 12:06 PM
    Anyone know if the uploader updates old pictures? For example, I uploaded my 100GB photo library a few months back at the 2048x image sizes. I'm wondering how to re-upload these images at the new 16MP file size limit.
    05-30-2015 12:14 PM
    I'm having a little issue with the backup process, and I am wondering if anyone can help me with it. When I turn on backup, it says I have 4000+ photos to backup, but there are only 400 total photos on my phone, so where are the other 3600+ photos coming from? I've gone onto google plus, the google photos website, but the only photos there are the ones successfully backed up before I turned it off (as I was going somewhere without wifi, so I turned backup off). I have no idea where these other photos are coming from, and when I turn backup back on, it stays "backing up photo 1/4000" for 20 minutes, and doesn't progress.
    05-30-2015 04:34 PM
    Why doesn't google photo sync all my photos it says uploading 90 pics but when I go to photo.google.com there is just a handful of pics that are sync

Posted via the Android Central App
    05-31-2015 11:25 AM
    Why can't the get creating a movie right?

In the old Google+ photos app you could create a movie, and trim videos while editing the movie, and add more video files as you go... but, you couldn't save it and come back later to continue working on your movie creation.

In the new Google Photos app, you can save it and come back later, yay!... but, you can't add anything else that you didn't select when you first went to create the movie, and you can't trim videos in the movie.
    05-31-2015 08:30 PM
    Here is an issue I am facing. I backup all my photos from Lightroom to Drive. Under the old photos app, each of those folders from Lightroom was organized as an Album. In the new app, I have lost those albums, they are all just together.
    06-02-2015 01:37 PM
    Google Photos app is still using cloud drive storage and my pictures are below 16mp. Also it is using cloud drive storage on my parents phone account too.
    06-02-2015 02:44 PM
    Android photos is great now that they separated it from Google plus, it was a PIA to have to log into Google plus every time I wanted to view a photo. It forced me to download the HTC Camera /Gallery to avoid the mess. Now that they are separate entities I might reconsider, although HTC has a decent gallery itself

Sent from my GPE 5.1 HTC DROID DNA.
    06-03-2015 07:48 AM
    I'm currently looking at backing up my 22000ish photos onto Google Photos but am baulking at the time its going to take. Since they're already on Picasa (which I'd look to retire once the switch is done) is there a quicker way of transfering , since they're both Google products?

Posted via Android Central App
    06-03-2015 12:14 PM
    My issue is it keeps turning sync in even though I want it only on while on wifi. I don't even have sync on from within the photos app. It keeps showing up as syncing when I go to my android accounts setting. This is killing my battery life
    06-03-2015 12:41 PM
    Am I missing something? There doesn't seem to be a way to limit backup to a particular folder or file type. Specifically, it keeps trying to upload every mp4/mov on my device, movies/shows/podcasts, not just videos taken by my phone.

06-06-2015 07:07 PM
    Am I missing something? There doesn't seem to be a way to limit backup to a particular folder or file type. Specifically, it keeps trying to upload every mp4/mov on my device, movies/shows/podcasts, not just videos taken by my phone.

Yes, I was missing something. "Choose folders" was under backup settings.

06-06-2015 08:21 PM
    Anybody else notice that all of the photo editing features in the new app have been "dumbed down"? I miss all the granular lightroom-esque controls... Is there another app that has these features I can install? Those were my favorite part of the last revision of Google Photos.
    06-07-2015 12:56 PM
    I uploaded all my pic to google photo how do i delete it from my devices
    Without deleting it from Google photo

06-07-2015 03:17 PM
    My issue is it keeps turning sync in even though I want it only on while on wifi. I don't even have sync on from within the photos app. It keeps showing up as syncing when I go to my android accounts setting. This is killing my battery life
    I'm experiencing the same problem. I've uninstalled and reinstalled three times, disabled/reenabled G+, etc. All of my photos are backed up in the web app, so it shouldn't be working this hard.

I've seen a bunch of people make the same complaints, except no one seems to have a solution. Have you been able to figure anything out yet?
    06-08-2015 08:00 AM
    I thought I heard one of the guys on a recent AC podcast say there was a way to remove duplicates. Anybody know if that's true and how to do it? I just uploaded all of my photos overnight and apparently had a bunch of duplicates and kind find anything on removing them.
    06-08-2015 12:22 PM
    Duplicates should just start disappearing as it finds them; there is no way to make it do this that I can see. Just like the other features that happen on their own schedule, the dupes being removed seems to be an auto-pilot situation.

I have a question also. I moved everything to Photos, and turned on the link so I can see the folder in Drive. I share out this folder to my home network, so the wife can get at all the pictures that I take. However, now that photos organizes things, she is complaining about not being able to find anything.

I could not see a way to actually share all of my Photos with her, which leaves her the annoying folder structure to try and browse through, which is crap. I installed Picassa on her PC and have it scanning the folder, and it is only ok. Is there a better way?
    06-15-2015 01:19 PM