Hi,

I have about 9000 photo's on my SD card. I've used Google Photo's to back these up on the cloud for sometime.

However, over time I've noticed that certain photo's just will not back-up. For example, I visited a farm last week with my family, took 74 photo's, and only 37 of these have appeared as backed-up when I log into Google on another device such as my tablet or a PC. But then a couple of snaps I've taken only yesterday are there already.

I've checked to ensure that all the photo folders on my phone are marked to be backed-up. I have tried backing-up via data/Wifi, just Wifi and charging only. I've pressed back-up now, and just left it - I just constantly says 'backing up 1 of 478', and never moves (I've left it doing so overnight, and the message disappears, but they're still missing). Sometime the second number chages when I try, so I don't know exactly how may it's missing... I've even totally un-installed, stopped Google services and started over, but to no avail.

I've just installed the new Google photo's app just released, but it's the same.

Any ideas?
    06-01-2015 06:09 AM
    Does this only happen with photos on the SD card? I wonder if it might be some kind of SD glitch. Can you try with photos on Internal Storage? Or try a different SD card?
    06-01-2015 01:03 PM
    Does this only happen with photos on the SD card? I wonder if it might be some kind of SD glitch. Can you try with photos on Internal Storage? Or try a different SD card?
    I guess that's a possibility, but everything is SD, so it doesn't explain why most do but some don't. I guess I could switch some to the phone, but as it's a few hundred out of 9000, it'd be very hard to actually do to a level where I could tell if it were that or not.

Posted via the Android Central App
    06-01-2015 01:36 PM
    I have the same problem. "backing up 1 of 88". Just sits there like that. I tried deleting the "first" and "last" photos. I rebooted the phone. Nothing. I don't think this has anything to do with SD card. Also I don't know where the "88" comes from as I only have 79 photos.
    06-04-2015 11:09 AM
    I have the same problem. "backing up 1 of 88". Just sits there like that. I tried deleting the "first" and "last" photos. I rebooted the phone. Nothing. I don't think this has anything to do with SD card. Also I don't know where the "88" comes from as I only have 79 photos.
    Yep. Today I spent an hour deleting everything via PC, then I unistalled the app., restarted the phone, and started it again. Still saying 1 of 478. Never moves. I have 9000 photos. Just given up and unistalled it now.

Posted via the Android Central App
    06-04-2015 02:34 PM
    Several people who had the same problem got it to work by doing:
    Settings >Apps >All >Google+ >Clear data
    or in my case
    Setting>apps>appManager>google+>cleardata
    Setting>apps>appManager>photos>clear data

I also rebooted. No luck.
    06-05-2015 04:06 PM
    Same problem on my N5 (no SD Card) with factory image and all apps and system updated. It keeps saying 'Backing up 1 of X'. I've tried all kinds of settings with no luck. Then I deleted all the photos that was not yet backed up, cleared cache of Camera, Photos and Google+, but strangely I still got 'Backing up 1 of X'. It seems like something is stuck in the pipes somewhere ...
    07-13-2015 02:15 PM
    Aha!
    (sorry, I can't post links, but go here) support.google.com/photos/answer/6174018

I'm not quite sure what actually did it, but I'm backing up again :-)
    Phone was set to back up over Wifi only, and backup enabled. Opened Assistant, where it said waiting for wifi (didn't have any). Switched to backup over Wifi and Mobile Network. Went back to Assistant and watched the counter go from X to zero, and finally the words "Backup complete".

Good luck
    07-14-2015 12:55 AM
    I faced the same issue today and after a lot of digging, discovered the cause and a solution.

Not only did my phone get stuck in the "Backing up 1 of xxxxx" state, but Google Play Services was consuming an excessive amount of CPU, and draining the battery even with the phone on a USB trickle charge. Going to the Google App settings and stopping backups would solve the CPU issue, but I was still stumped at the backup issue, after having uninstalled and reinstalled Google Photos to no avail.

What mystified me too was the very large number (xxxxx in "Backing up 1 of xxxxx" was over 11,000), because my phone at this point had only approximately 1000 photos.

Then it struck me, that perhaps Google Play Services was confused because I had externally removed thousands of photos from my phone via USB connection and Windows. So, after reassuring myself that this would not cause a major problem, I went to the Application configuration for Google Play Services, selected "Manage Storage" then selected "Clear all Data." I then re-installed Google Photos, and reconfigured, and voilà, the "Backing up 1 of xxxxx" message appeared, the count rose to the ACTUAL number of photos on my phone, and the first number then began ticking upward! About a minute after the backup completed, the CPU usage of Google Play Services dropped to normal...AND...the cloud icon with the slash which had appeared on all photos under Google Photos on the phone was gone! Not only that, but Google was smart enough not to duplicate these photos in the cloud itself as they had already been backed up via the prior version of Google Photos.

So, the bottom line is, when your phone is stuck on "Backing up 1 of xxxxx," it is very likely because Google Play Services is confused about the actual number of photos on the device...and the solution is to clear its database.
    09-01-2015 02:42 PM
    I have successfully backed up well over 25,000 photos. I had the problem with the backup being stuck and not sycing after about 15,000 or so. I fixed the problem by going into the photos settings online and changing the settings to unlimited. Prior to this, I did have all the the setting on the phones, tablets and the destop app set to unlimited. What was missing was the unlimited setting on the actual photos setting online.

Goto google photos online.
    You can left click the google photos desktop icon on the bottom right corner and click on "Go to Photos"
    On on the Photos online, on the top left menu corner, click and go to settings.
    Change it to unlimited.
    Done.

Hope this helps.

Ethan
    09-05-2015 12:10 PM
    Did the EXACT same thing as Retronaut (deleted photos via direct connection to my computer), and it did indeed screw up the Google Play Services. I followed Retronaut's instructions to go to the Application configuration for Google Play Services, selected "Manage Storage" then selected "Clear all Data." Then ran Google Photos again (don't need to uninstall/reinstall or even reboot), and turned backup On, gave it a minute (takes 30-60 seconds for the phone to start backing up again), and then it started counting up: Backing up 1 of xxxx. until "xxxx" was the total number of photos on my phone. It then started counting up so it was backing up 2 of 750, 3 of 750, etc., and it didn't duplicate any of the photos I already backed up, and it completed backing up the photos I hadn't backed up yet, and now it's working again! Thanks, Retronaut!
    09-08-2015 11:46 AM