Using Google Now to add items to task/shopping lists?

dtfamily

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

Do you know if Google Now has developed, or any 3rd party app, the ability to use voice actions to add items to specific shopping lists, like I used to do using Siri. For example, with Siri you could say "Add Xxx to my Shopping list", and it would add the item using your voice to the specific shopping list.

I've done a lot of looking, and don't see that it can be done with Google Now commands, nor with any 3rd party apps that I can see. Does anyone have any suggestions- I would really like to get this to work!

Thanks!

itguyjax8430

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

Do you know if Google Now has developed, or any 3rd party app, the ability to use voice actions to add items to specific shopping lists, like I used to do using Siri. For example, with Siri you could say "Add Xxx to my Shopping list", and it would add the item using your voice to the specific shopping list.

I've done a lot of looking, and don't see that it can be done with Google Now commands, nor with any 3rd party apps that I can see. Does anyone have any suggestions- I would really like to get this to work!

Thanks!

Welcome to Android Central!

Have you tried using Google Keep to see if Google Now will work with it?

dtfamily

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site
Hi, I use Google Keep some, but there isn't a way to tell Google Keep (through Google Now) what specific lists to add an item to, is there?

Thanks,
Dave

sjcdal

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
I have also been looking for something like this. I used to use JOTT when it was free (is it even still around?).

A semi functioning way to get this done is to use the location function in Google Now.
i.e. "Ok Google.. Next time I am at Costco remind me to get Coffee, giant mustard."

To add to the list...just create another Now reminder for Costco.
"Ok Google Next Time I am at Costco remind me to get Huge Paper towel, and Worlds best deal on a hot dog."

When you enter Costco, you should get TWO google now cards listing the items you have requested. Not quite as neat as a list, but it has the advantage of popping up automagically when you are at the stores location.

tgjosund

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
I have also been looking for something like this. I used to use JOTT when it was free (is it even still around?).

A semi functioning way to get this done is to use the location function in Google Now.
i.e. "Ok Google.. Next time I am at Costco remind me to get Coffee, giant mustard."

To add to the list...just create another Now reminder for Costco.
"Ok Google Next Time I am at Costco remind me to get Huge Paper towel, and Worlds best deal on a hot dog."

When you enter Costco, you should get TWO google now cards listing the items you have requested. Not quite as neat as a list, but it has the advantage of popping up automagically when you are at the stores location.

That's neat.

BlueCat57

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
I've been looking for this sort of functionality. As I'm driving to work I want to speak my to do list as I think of items. Once I arrive I want to open that list and prioritize the items.

I know that the Amazon Echo's Alexa can add items to a list.

Maybe one could use a voice controlled To Do app with only one list in it to make entries. You'd then open the app and export the list to another app for manipulation. That way every day the original app would have an empty list for one to speak items into.

If Siri can do it I'm sure that at some point Google Now will be able to do it.

dtfamily

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I finally stumbled across an answer that works for me, using Google Keep. Here's the web link (it's #5 on the list): 10 Must-Know Tips for Better Note-Taking with Google Keep « Android Gadget Hacks

I've tried it and it works. I don't know if this is new functionality or not, but here it is:

5. Use Google Now Commands to Add Items to Lists

Google Keep has a built-in feature that allows you to add items to a "To Do" and "Shopping List" by utilizing the "Ok Google" voice function.

To quickly add items to these two lists, simply activate Google Search by saying "Ok Google," and then proceed to use one of the two voice command formats listed below:

"Ok Google, add bananas to my shopping list"
"Ok Google, add getting my life together to my to do list"

Performing these voice commands will automatically add said items to these default lists. Also, you can add items to an already existing list you made on your own. Pretty amazing right?

JDuaneJ

May 8, 2016
Visit site
Hello, I cannot seem to get this to function on my LG G watch. Saying "Ok Google, add bananas to my shopping list" does nothing but open up some sort of help/search function showing only an "Open on Phone" link with a snippet of text from a web search.

Google Keep and Evernote are having loads of problems with this simple functionality that should be a "no brain required" sort of thing these days.

It's so funny because we see all of this advertising about voice commands and how simple life is now that we have our precious smartwatches, but the real story is that it's a pain in the butt like %80 of the time. lol I have Samsung G2 that doesn't function with note taking very well either.

Hopefully Google and Evernote will fix these simple problems quickly.

rodrigo_braz

Nov 23, 2014
Visit site
A good and no-setup option is to use Google Inbox's reminders.
(You probably know this, but Google Inbox is a new interface for Google's Gmail and in my opinion vastly superior and worth the switch regardless.) If you don't use Google's email, even better, you can just treat Inbox as your shopping list app.

Simply say "Ok Google, remind me to buy bananas this evening" and a reminder will appear in Google Inbox at 6pm.

If you don't give it a time ("this evening", "tomorrow", "next week"), it will ask you for the time and then ask for confirmation, which slows the whole process down, so you're probably better off just giving it a time right away. If you say "remind me ... now", the reminder will appear in your inbox right away.

There is also an option for a reminder to appear based on location, but I've never tried it. Of course that could be pretty handy if you have your supermarket location as an option.

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
There is a Google shopping list now available in the US only Google Express app. It can also be found at shopping list.google.com you can install express from APK mirror website. Then using assistant on phone or Google home device you can say "add xxx to my shopping list" if you say "show me my shopping list" assistant will either open the webpage or the express app if you have it.

rodrigo_braz

Nov 23, 2014
Visit site
Kirstein Gourlay, great hint, thanks!

Because of a typo, your post shows list.google.com, but it should have been shoppinglist.google.com.

This is the same shopping list that appears in Google Express at express.google.com.

It is also worth noting that the Google assistant will add items to this shopping list without the need to install the app. No setup needed at all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rabruslik