Alternatives to Pulse app?

Daspoo

May 27, 2013
Visit site
Not sure how many use the Pulse news reader app, but the devs/LinkedIn had sent notification that a new version is available and the old one will be going away by year's end. Frankly the new version *ba-lows*, so I'm working if anyone knows of a good replacement app that does the same as, if not better than, the (now old) Pulse?

-# Cheers! #-

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Does it still need to be integrated with LinkedIn? I think Google Play Newsstand does a nice job.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I used Pulse for a while and it was good, but after I started using Feedly and Newsstand never went back. They can add feeds that Pulse never managed to find and the interaction with offline apps like Pocket is much better. They have a completely different layout though.

ausch30

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I know this thread is 5 months old but I just stumbled on it. I had been using Pulse since 2010 when I got my first Android phone and I loved it. I had a backup I kept moving from phone to phone as I rooted. Now I have a 6p, unrooted. The current Pulse app sucks and I'm looking for an alternative. I liked how in Pulse your sources were listed vertically with horizontal scrolling for browsing articles. It was functional and allowed for quick scanning through many sources and articles to find what you're interested in. So far I've tried a few apps and they seem more interested in making things pretty. I tried Flipboard a couple years ago, just recently I've tried Feedly, I still have had no luck finding anything that is remotely similar in functionality to Pulse. Recently I've just been reading things that Google Now is feeding to me but there's no way to customize that and I get way too much stuff I have no interest in. Also I've recently been using Google Newsstand and it's OK but I still miss Pulse.

My question is... How has your luck been over the last several months since you started this thread? Have you found anything that has effectively replaced Pulse and/or what are you using now? What apps, if any, have you found that replicate the functionality of Pulse?

Last edited:

mimran

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
I'm not sure how many of you use the Pulse news app which was recently acquired by LinkedIn, but it used to be my go to app for reading news on the Subway (and in general). Anyway, the app was recently updated and it's pretty terrible. It doesn't follow any Android design guidelines (looks like iOS or Windows mobile app), and the interface is wonky, buggy, and confusing. I think that if we can get enough 1 star reviews perhaps we can get them to address this horrible update. Please I just want my old news reader back!

wired.au

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
I liked how in Pulse your sources were listed vertically with horizontal scrolling for browsing articles. It was functional and allowed for quick scanning through many sources and articles to find what you're interested in. So far I've tried a few apps and they seem more interested in making things pretty.

Those are my feelings exactly. I like how I can quickly browse articleswith the old Pulse. All the others seem to just want to make it pretty.

I'm surprised no one has jumped to create a similar replacement. Looking at the number of 1-star reviews on the new Pulse app, it looks like a good number of people are unhappy.

chicycle

Dec 25, 2015
Visit site
I want an aggregator by publication like Pulse, not by topic like FlipBoard

If I want to see what is going on in the Fox universe, I want that feed. If I want the Huffington Post universe, I want that. If I want to slum on Gawker, let me do that. If I want to read the Velo News, let me read it.

I don't want to have what someone else decided what stories are listed in politics or lifestyle or bicycling.

stmax

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
+1 for google play newsstand. It allows you to subscribe to any publication and then sync selectively for off line reading.

Kyocera 7135, Palm Treo 650, BlackBerry Curve, BlackBerry Bold, Motorola Razr XT9xx, LG Nexus 4, LG G3, LG G4.

TripSixes

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
Ausch30, your experience and views sounds exactly like me. I've used pulse on every phone since my original Samsung galaxy S.

DroDough81

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
I just stumbled upon a website/app called Inoreader. So far for me it has a good layout and setup like Pulse news, although there is a lot more to it. I have spent very little time with the site so far and have yet to try the app, but it seems like it may be a good replacement.

shadders139

Jan 10, 2016
Visit site
So it seems the Pulse app has been shut-down. Like others in this thread, I loved the vertical listing, with horizontal scrolling, and none of the other suggested apps seem to have that. is there ANY news aggregation app that has the same layout as Pulse?

gnomercy404

Jan 13, 2016
Visit site
I am also a former Pulse user that is looking for a replacement news reader app. I recently stumbled across a Reddit post that suggested an app called Feedmesh. It is currently still in Beta but you can sideload the apk from their website. I cant post a link but just google Feedmesh. It has the same vertical feed setup with horizontal scrolling. I've only been using it for a few days but I am happy with the experience so far. If you are looking for something similar to Pulse, I would definitely recommend giving it a shot.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
I've been trying to find a replacement as well. I've tried Newsify, and it's ok I guess. But nothing as good as the old Pulse. I'd pay 19.99 or so if they offered the old Pulse app and let me use my Pulse login.

Matt Shapiro1

Oct 10, 2015
Visit site
Thank you gnomercy404! I think I've tried every reader until I saw your post. Downloaded & tried - Feedmesh is a little rough around the edges (would be nice to be able to change order, widgets etc), but it's a Beta after all. Basically, it does the job that Pulse used to do, that's all I've wanted. Uninstalled Pulse, canceled my LinkedIn account & would be happy to spend a couple o'bucks on Feedmesh.:)

diggz976

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
I used Pulse a LOT. LinkedIn did a great job of completely ignoring their base and screwing the pooch.

Another vote for Feedmesh here though. They have the Pulse UI basics. Needs sorting by topic (hell, any sorting at all would be nice). Links, some pics, comments section etc in articles don't always seem to work but there's always "open in browser" till they add some features. At least I can have my scrolling tiled, custom feed back!

Thank you for stepping up Feedmesh!

Last edited:

Vic Vicarious

Jan 20, 2016
Visit site
I agree very much with you. I loved the visual aspect of `Pulse`the way I could get visual news feed on anything `Design`oriented and haven`t found anything like this since the way it integrated ``the best of reddit`

Vic Vicarious

Jan 20, 2016
Visit site
I have tried to get "Feedmesh"
via my LG Google Android
it always asks me
"did you mean feedmersh"
and nothing comes up at all in the search (right now)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca