I'm watching the Bears / Packers game and have had three calls from an annoying computer generated telemarketer. How about an app that, rather than just block a call, answers the phone and emits a high-pitched screech, or at least a whistle? Even a fax connection noise would be cool.
    01-23-2011 04:32 PM
    That would be funny. Or a fax machine sound. I suppose you could set that up on your outgoing VM message, but that would annoy your legit callers too!

I have Google Voice which allows you to block unknown or specific numbers. Then when those #s call, they get a message that the number is unavailable.
    01-23-2011 04:34 PM
    I use the Mr. Number app, it's set to block everyone not in my contacts and I have it just pick up and hang up.

It is, however, illegal in the U.S. for telemarketers to call your cell phone. Tell them once that it's your cell and they have to stop, or they face a lawsuit.

Sent from my eVo
    06cbrf4i likes this.
    01-23-2011 04:39 PM
    I use the Mr. Number app, it's set to block everyone not in my contacts and I have it just pick up and hang up.
    Can you set it up to reject calls only during Bears / Packers games per the OP requirements?
    01-23-2011 06:00 PM
    I'm thinking payback for bothering me!
    01-23-2011 06:03 PM
    How about an app that, rather than just block a call, answers the phone and emits a high-pitched screech, or at least a whistle? Even a fax connection noise would be cool.
    Extreme Call Blocker has this option. It will do a high pitched screech, snoring, traffic noise, and two people "doing it". You also have the pick up then hang up option. I am no longer using it because I now use my phone for work, and I don't want to have those things going to my vendors. Seemed to work when I had it though.
    01-23-2011 06:10 PM
    I just hand mine to my 4-year-old. That teaches 'em.
    MowDownJoe likes this.
    01-23-2011 06:11 PM
    Not all of us are parents, Phil.
    01-23-2011 07:22 PM
    Phil...that's brilliant!
    01-23-2011 07:24 PM
    I just hand mine to my 4-year-old. That teaches 'em.
    Great idea, lol. I think I have coworkers that would work for that since I don't have kids, lol.
    01-23-2011 07:24 PM
    I know someone who, way back when, used an automatic forwarding option to send a particularly bothersome and recurrent junk caller back to their own voice mail. Hilarious...

Youmail can help you with interesting voicemail messages.
    01-23-2011 09:27 PM
    Like Chrisy I use GV. Blocked callers get a "number not in service" message and I never even know that they called.

I can also choose to flag callers so they go directly to VM, the VM is deleted and I'm never bothered.
    01-24-2011 02:38 PM
    Some call blocked still answers the call then hangs up - even when set to silent. It still interrupt you especially if you're on the phone.
    01-24-2011 02:47 PM
    Just to reiterate: Telemarketing to cell phone numbers has always been illegal (Read more about it here).
    I also like YouMail's options although nothing is full-proof/foolproof as we know. Phill's idea is great, and having a 4-year old myself I know better
    01-24-2011 02:57 PM
    Just to reiterate: Telemarketing to cell phone numbers has always been illegal (Read more about it here).
    I also like YouMail's options although nothing is full-proof/foolproof as we know. Phill's idea is great, and having a 4-year old myself I know better

I use youmail myself ... You can set up a custom outgoing message for every number that calls in .. You can use thousands of free prerecorded mesages or make them yourself ... When a telemarketer calls you, you can assign a professional outgoing message that says " The number you are calling requires a $9.00 surcharge ... To accept press 1 .. For a list of options press 2 .. To decline press 3 .. To repeat menu press 4 " then the phone simply hangs up ... But by this time the telemarketer is annoyed and as already hung up .. It's a great service.

Youmail App: YouMail Visual Voicemail Plus - Android app on AppBrain

Youmail Website:
    Visual Voicemail For Your Phone | YouMail
    01-24-2011 05:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD