Locale vs PhoneWeaver

jayhawkfan18

A Dude
May 14, 2010
Visit site
I am looking for an app that will simply turn on my WiFi connection when I get home and turn it off when I leave, based off of my GPS location. I have heard that both Locale and PhoneWeaver will accomplish this (in addition to many other things). Anybody know which works better and consumes the least amount of battery to do so? OR would anyone have any other suggestions for an app that will do this? I really don't need any of the other features so I was hoping for the most simple app that uses minimal battery power. Battery life is so much better when I'm able to use WiFi but most times I don't remember to turn it on when I get home..

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
In my opinion... phoneweaver uses/consumes more battery power. However, every individual phone react differently.

You could try out the free version first.

UncleMike

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Take a look at Tasker. You can download a 7-day trial for free from the developer's site.

GPS will be a battery hog no matter which app you use. I have Tasker periodically turn on Wifi to see if my own Wifi is visible, and if it is, then Tasker leaves Wifi on. When it's no longer visible, it turns Wifi back off, and the process starts all over. This approach is a lot less power hungry than GPS.

jayhawkfan18

A Dude
May 14, 2010
Visit site
Thanks everyone for your replies. I will check out Tasker and see how I like it. I will try your suggestion UncleMike about having Tasker check periodically for my own Wifi connection. Can you even filter the times that it automatically checks for your home connection? Like after 5 during the week and all day on weekends for example?

doryz

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
PhoneWeaver

PhoneWeaver doesn't consume more battery, it actually has very low battery consumption impact.

I'd suggest you test it out for yourself there is a free trial version.

You can get it here:
Software for Android: PhoneWeaver: Download

or in the Android Market, just look for the trial version.

With PhoneWeaver you can also control the GPS.

Hope this helps.

Dory Out.

jayhawkfan18

A Dude
May 14, 2010
Visit site
Can someone walk me thru setting this up on one of these apps?! I tried using Tasker and it's real complicated. I had no idea it would be this difficult.

Sent from my Incredible using Tapatalk

takeshi

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
I'd also recommend Tasker.

As pointed out above, frequent use of the GPS receiver will kill the battery regardless of the app. I highly recommend reading "Location Without Tears" on the Tasker site.

Can someone walk me thru setting this up on one of these apps?! I tried using Tasker and it's real complicated. I had no idea it would be this difficult.
Have you looked at the Tasker Wiki? Even if examples aren't relevant, it's useful to go through some just to become familiar with Tasker.

JayL

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
settings profile will do it and it is kinda simple

tasker is the best, once you get over the initial learning it is easy and powerful

doryz

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
reply to jayhawkfan18

Hi jayhawkfan18!

Have you tried phoneweaver?

What problems do you have. We have great support which would be happy to help you.

I'd be happy to try and get you help.

Cheers
D.

ccjernigan

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Hi!

I am the developer of Locale.

Locale will work great for the setup that you've described. We've tried to make Locale both powerful and easy to use, but don't take my word for it. To get a feel for how to set up the app, take a look at the video review AppJudgement did of Locale last year: YouTube - Become and Android POWER USER with Locale - AppJudgment

For location detection, the challenge isn't just low battery usage but also getting high accuracy and reliability. Locale 1.5 (just released today) can detect 100-meter location changes within an average of 4 minutes while using less than 3% of the battery.

For further questions about Locale, please visit Locale - Support or send us an email!

Marshy

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Giving Llama a try. I bought Locale when I had my ipod touch. Not paying another 10 bucks for it since it rarely worked before.

bigk

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Giving Llama a try. I bought Locale when I had my ipod touch. Not paying another 10 bucks for it since it rarely worked before.

The ipod touch doesn't have a gps in it. Only way I'm thinking it can retrieve your location is via wifi.

eibbed0001

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
Giving Llama a try.

I downloaded Llama last night and am trying it. I wanted it to automatically turn off Wi-Fi when I leave my house and turn it on when I return. I also have it set to adjust the volume of the ringer and notifications under the same circumstances. I haven't really put it to the test yet but I like the interface and what it supposedly will do. I hope it works well for me!

Editing to add that I found a great review of it that clearly explains what Llama can do.

Last edited:

eibbed0001

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
I gave Llama its first test by leaving the house to run errands. It turned off wi-fi and adjusted the volume as it was set to do. When I arrived home it reset itself to normal as requested. So far a thumbs up!