Location Sharing App?

Pokefreak13

Aug 20, 2015
Visit site
Hello

I am about to get my Note 5 on Friday and it will be my first Android device so I'm looking for a location sharing app.

On my iPhone my gf and I are able to view each other's location through iMessage which is one of the features I will miss about the switch since we both use it.

Can anyone recommend some good apps with similar functions?

regression

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
One option is Google+. What I do is add specific people to a circle I created and then share my location with the circle. This works across iOS and Android. To view the other persons location, open Google+ and go to the location section.

There is also Glympse if you want to share for a specific time period.

Google+ works in the background and doesn't actively use GPS. Glympse foes use GPS, so it will drain your battery quickly.

Pokefreak13

Aug 20, 2015
Visit site
One option is Google+. What I do is add specific people to a circle I created and then share my location with the circle. This works across iOS and Android. To view the other persons location, open Google+ and go to the location section.

There is also Glympse if you want to share for a specific time period.

Google+ works in the background and doesn't actively use GPS. Glympse foes use GPS, so it will drain your battery quickly.

Thanks for the response and yes I forgot to mention I wanted to track across platforms.

Have you also heard of "Locate My Friends!"? Is it any good?

I may try Google+ if I can't find anything else.

regression

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the response and yes I forgot to mention I wanted to track across platforms.

Have you also heard of "Locate My Friends!"? Is it any good?

I may try Google+ if I can't find anything else.

Sorry, I haven't heard of the "Locate My Friends!" app, but it does look promising.

Just so you know, some people believe Google will move the location sharing out of Google+ into its own app / service, like they did with Photos. So if you do go with the Google+ solution, it might change at some point in the future.

Pokefreak13

Aug 20, 2015
Visit site
Sorry, I haven't heard of the "Locate My Friends!" app, but it does look promising.

That's ok, Locate My Friends, Life360 and Jink are the 3 others I had found but since I'm new to Android I got no idea what's good. Most of the apps I use now I can get on Android or have a similar app, it's just the iMessage features that are hard to get.

Just so you know, some people believe Google will move the location sharing out of Google+ into its own app / service, like they did with Photos. So if you do go with the Google+ solution, it might change at some point in the future.

That would be really great if they did!

I'm not sure if you're familiar with iMessage's location tracking but from inside the thread my gf can simply just clip on a map and see my location. It's not live tracking but you can just refresh it to see when there's an update to their location so that's pretty much what I'm looking for now :)

regression

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure if you're familiar with iMessage's location tracking but from inside the thread my gf can simply just clip on a map and see my location. It's not live tracking but you can just refresh it to see when there's an update to their location so that's pretty much what I'm looking for now :)

I didn't know that (I never used iOS). Looks like a good feature. Unfortunately, I don't know of something similar in Android. If you are using text messages, Google Messenger (and I think Hangouts) would let you send your girlfriend your location. But, that isn't the scenario you described...

Pokefreak13

Aug 20, 2015
Visit site
I didn't know that (I never used iOS). Looks like a good feature. Unfortunately, I don't know of something similar in Android. If you are using text messages, Google Messenger (and I think Hangouts) would let you send your girlfriend your location. But, that isn't the scenario you described...

Yeah it's a really great feature and something that almost made me want to stay with Apple (we have a tablet that I'm able to iMessage as well). I'll give all the apps a try I think and see which works best.

Thanks for all the advice :D

Pokefreak13

Aug 20, 2015
Visit site
Why not use Google Maps?

Does Google Maps permanently allow you to share your location with someone? I like for the other person to be able to access my location whenever they want and vice versa, not me having to send it to them.

I found life360 and installed it on our iPhones and it seems to work really well

regression

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Does Google Maps permanently allow you to share your location with someone? I like for the other person to be able to access my location whenever they want and vice versa, not me having to send it to them.

I found life360 and installed it on our iPhones and it seems to work really well

Glad you found something that works. I might check out Life360 and see how it compares to Google+'s implementation of location sharing.

Pokefreak13

Aug 20, 2015
Visit site
Glad you found something that works. I might check out Life360 and see how it compares to Google+'s implementation of location sharing.

Thanks and it definitely works great so it's worth checking it out! You can even send an alert if something is wrong and it will message/email the person to notify them you're in danger.

Ailsa00

Sep 10, 2015
Visit site
Hello

I am about to get my Note 5 on Friday and it will be my first Android device so I'm looking for a location sharing app.

On my iPhone my gf and I are able to view each other's location through iMessage which is one of the features I will miss about the switch since we both use it.

Can anyone recommend some good apps with similar functions?
Many social chat apps have this function, such as Passfeed , it can allow you send your location to friends, and you can also find friends near you with instant location. Maybe you can have a try.

Pokefreak13

Aug 20, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for those tips. I've been using Life360 for a week now and its been great and accurate so I think I'm going to stick with it.

Does anyone know any keyboard apps that allow for shortcuts like on ios? I added some on my Google Keyboard but they only work when the predictive text bar is up. On ios as soon as you type the shortcut it will fill the rest of the word for you which I like much better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome