Any news or rumours if the GTalk app for froyo / gingerbread will get updates to handle video calling?

was so surprised it didn't support when i got my nexus s, been looking forward to actually using the front facing camera for once
    02-03-2011 04:33 AM
    it was demoed on the Motorola Xoom tablet recently at the Google event just yesterday, Feb 2nd--but the Xoom was showcasing Honeycomb (3.0, i believe)

since Froyo is now the "standard" (and i say this--meaning it's what's more available than Gingerbread and where most carriers are promising to bring to their devices)--and Froyo doesn't currently support video G-Chat, i'd say it won't be released for Froyo devices any time soon.

if video is to be released for Gingerbread, i think it would have had a placeholder spot in the Gingerbread system like the "available soon" video chat icon in the Skype application on the upcoming HTC Thunderbolt. sadly, though, it does not.

if video chat is released--my bet is that it'll be released when Honeycomb (designed specifically for Tablets--not really completely porting over to handsets) has some of its features ported over (an event that was foretold by Google yesterday)
    02-03-2011 04:48 PM
    I disagree. It will come in an app update for google talk. I don't think it will have anything to do with a particular os release. We are at the mercy of google and when they decide to release this to the masses. They should have released something by now, lots of people have forward facing cameras which are useless right now. Especially with the release of the nexus s, I believe we will see video chat within a couple of months.

Sent from my Evo 4G using Tapatalk
    02-03-2011 08:31 PM