08-04-2011 12:44 PM
59 123
tools
    Download an app called "Droid Coupons"

I use it all the time. I usually get 1 free redbox rental code a week with it.

I'm just sayin'
    does these work at the 711 ones?
    01-21-2010 10:51 PM
    Great job on the app. I hope you keep developing the app. I doubt REDBOX will make an official app anytime soon. So as far as security goes, some people are afraid that you have access to our account info, credit card numbers etc. I wish Google would add Paypal as an option to buy apps and i wish REDBOX would use Paypal to bill their services.
    Thanks!

I do plan to continue to update my app. I have lots of ideas I want to implement. Next up is a much improved map view.

You're right, after developing on Android realizing there are literally no restrictions, no application review process and that you can publish a malicious app to the market in minutes, I'm scared to try 3rd party apps as well. I like google's fast and open market, but it does leave the door open. I think the only thing they do have going is a quick response to reports of a malicious app. Unfortunately, some people are going to get screwed before its caught.
    01-21-2010 11:22 PM
    does these work at the 711 ones?
    I have used them at all kinds of different store, but not a 711. Some of the codes it gives are specific to a certain store, some are universal.
    01-22-2010 06:37 PM
    From some articles I have seen, it sounds like redbox is cracking down on what I call "promo coders" - people that only rent with promo codes. They seem to be starting to limit how many promo codes can be used with a certain credit card.

Promo codes are obviously meant to get people to try redbox. There is some profit when people use a promo code and keep the movie extra nights, but I guess redbox still may not want people using them constantly.
    01-22-2010 08:19 PM
    What's up everyone!

I am the developer of RedBoxer. Glad to see that the word is spreading and that people are happy with my app. It's taken quite a bit a bit work so I am glad to see it being well received.

To answer a few questions:

My app is built on the 2.0 framework. There are some things I wanted to take advantage of and I was really hoping the phone manufactures would be working quicker to get their phones updated. It sounds like the hero/eris should be on their way to 2.1 next month. I looked into changing to the 1.6 framework, but it almost takes my app back to gound zero. Everything breaks. Once your phones get 2.1, you will be able to find my app in the market.

I would like to do a promo code integration with insiderebox.com They seem to have the best promo code system out there. I am waiting to hear back from them.

I understand the security concerns around 3rd party apps like mine. To be quite honest, as a user, you are at a developer's mercy. I do think google does a good job of responding to applications that steal info. My app does not share or route any information to 3rd party servers. It communicates directly with redbox's system in exactly the same manner that redbox.com does. Also - with the way redbox works, they don't communicate complete credit card information. They provide a unique id and some other data that is checked internally on their server to actually charge your card. Its not possible to steal credit card information using redbox's system. Regardless, I understand some people won't use RedBoxer because it is a 3rd party app. I trust that as my app builds a positive reputation, people may become more trusting.

Let me know if there are other questions, comments or suggestions!
    Thanks for posting here. I'm a very satisfied customer, the app works fantastic and I prefer to use the app to the website. You've done a bangup job, better than the Redbox Insider folks with their iPhone version. I don't know if you're in the app store on the iPhone but I bet they'd/'re benefit from this work greatly.

I like your style and your taste.

It's always great when developers show up to speak out. Hopefully AndroidCentral is a welcome forum for you and we hear more from you
    01-23-2010 12:19 PM
    Thanks for posting here. I'm a very satisfied customer, the app works fantastic and I prefer to use the app to the website. You've done a bangup job, better than the Redbox Insider folks with their iPhone version. I don't know if you're in the app store on the iPhone but I bet they'd/'re benefit from this work greatly.

I like your style and your taste.

It's always great when developers show up to speak out. Hopefully AndroidCentral is a welcome forum for you and we hear more from you
    You're welcome!

Thanks for the kind words.

I'm afraid I don't have experience with or much desire to program for the iPhone. I don't like the language, the rigid structure, or Apple's drawn out approval process. I am a Java developer by day, so Android has been a very pleasant jump to make for me. I like the nature of Android a lot.

I've got a few more things that I am wrapping up for this app that should be out very soon. They include caching dvd covers for a drastic performance improvement, sorting titles a-z, z-a, new-old or old-new, and a link over to the maps application for directions and navigation to a kiosk.
    01-23-2010 03:54 PM
    Yeah it's funny but Java has been quite venerable. A lot of folks are saying it's cleaner and more powerful, and that the objective C oriented nature that iPhone SDK almost seems clumsy. That whole "custom API's" thing is crazy too.

Thanks for the heads up on the promo codes.
    01-23-2010 05:31 PM
    Love Redbox I'll have to check it out!
    01-24-2010 01:20 PM
    Wanted to let everyone know that RedBoxer has been updated to version 3.2.

When viewing kiosks on the map - you are now taken to Android's built in maps application and a search is automatically done for the kiosk location you choose. From here you have full access to get directions, navigation, street view, etc.

Browsing kiosks and genres is drastically faster due to caching movie covers instead of always downloading them. This uses about 5 - 6 MB for the 400 - 500 movies that can be found currently. The cached covers can be cleared from Settings -> Applications -> Manage Applications -> RedBoxer -> Clear cache. If space is a concern for some reason, you can turn off caching in the RedBoxer settings. If you do this, movie covers will always be downloaded.

I have added sorting options when viewing movies. The options include sorting alphabetically (A - Z and Z - A) and sorting by release date (Newest to Oldest or Oldest to Newest).

When searching kiosks for a certain movie, there is a new menu filter to hide out of stock kiosks (or show them again) so you can just see the ones that have the movie.

When searching for kiosks, my app now shows kiosks that are offline instead of just hiding them.

There are also new settings for default behaviors of hiding/showing out of stock kiosks and for hiding/showing offline kiosks.

The next feature I'm working on is a reservations page so you can see what movies you have reserved. I might try to tie in reminders for when movies are due back.

If anyone has other suggestions for this app, let me know!

Enjoy.
    01-25-2010 02:28 AM
    I would like to do a promo code integration with insiderebox.com They seem to have the best promo code system out there. I am waiting to hear back from them.
    They are working on an Android app themselves so they may not get back with you...
    01-25-2010 07:53 AM
    They are working on an Android app themselves so they may not get back with you...
    I know, I let them know that if it wasn't coming along quickly enough then they could do an integration with my app, but that I understand if they are just going to do their own.
    01-25-2010 11:14 AM
    What's up everyone!

I am the developer of RedBoxer. Glad to see that the word is spreading and that people are happy with my app. It's taken quite a bit a bit work so I am glad to see it being well received.

To answer a few questions:

My app is built on the 2.0 framework. There are some things I wanted to take advantage of and I was really hoping the phone manufactures would be working quicker to get their phones updated. It sounds like the hero/eris should be on their way to 2.1 next month. I looked into changing to the 1.6 framework, but it almost takes my app back to gound zero. Everything breaks. Once your phones get 2.1, you will be able to find my app in the market.

I understand the security concerns around 3rd party apps like mine. To be quite honest, as a user, you are at a developer's mercy. I do think google does a good job of responding to applications that steal info. My app does not share or route any information to 3rd party servers. It communicates directly with redbox's system in exactly the same manner that redbox.com does. Also - with the way redbox works, they don't communicate complete credit card information. They provide a unique id and some other data that is checked internally on their server to actually charge your card. Its not possible to steal credit card information using redbox's system. Regardless, I understand some people won't use RedBoxer because it is a 3rd party app. I trust that as my app builds a positive reputation, people may become more trusting.

Let me know if there are other questions, comments or suggestions!
    hmmm I only have one question, are you single?
    03-20-2010 10:01 PM
    BTW, you are all wrong on google or motorola licensing DROID from LucasArts. Its Verizon that has that line, not Google or Motorola (hence Droid Eris). Just sayin.
    03-20-2010 11:03 PM
    hmmm I wonder.

hmmm I only have one question, are you single?
    03-22-2010 11:08 PM
    Has the app been removed cant find RedBoxer in the apps?
    12-06-2010 02:59 PM
    Im not finding RedBoxer in the market either. Droid Pro here.
    12-06-2010 11:13 PM
    Redboxer and Redreserve both gone from the market place? To the Dev will they be updated?
    12-13-2010 01:46 PM
    Not only is Redboxer gone from the market, it also seem to longer function. I can find movies and locations ok, but i can no longer log in to reserve movies. Boo!
    12-13-2010 08:09 PM
    Another useer got a message from the Dev that the app has problems with the new redbox coding and he hopes to have it back up very soon.
    hehfahq likes this.
    12-13-2010 08:17 PM
    Any word on this? I am seriously jonesing for redbox functionality on android - did they shut down third party access to their systems?
    01-05-2011 06:48 PM
    As far as I know it's back and called RedReserve
    RedReserve - Android app on AppBrain
    01-05-2011 11:09 PM
    I have to rebuy this as RedReserve? I'd already bought it as RedBoxer.
    01-06-2011 12:27 AM
    I am not using this yet so I have no contact info
    "** This app replaced RedBoxer, which was pulled from the market without my control, contact me for a refund if you bought that app" from the DEV

if you still have the old app try contact thru that or http://forum.androidcentral.com/memb...idsoftdev.html
    that link is to the dev send him a message
    01-06-2011 07:27 AM
    Is there any reason why it's not in the market? Was it at red box's request?
    01-06-2011 02:10 PM
    Why would you pay $1 (even if it is only $1) when you still have to drive to the Redbox anyway? Unless of course, in the world of giant HD TVs, a perosn would want to watch the movie on their 4" or less phone screen....

If it was free, sure, it's free. But $1 is a double cheeseburger for Pete's sake!
    Whatever floats your boat people.
    01-27-2011 01:12 PM
59 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD