How to pay with card other than the default one?

Eric The Duke

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
Do you have to set your card to the default card to pay with said card? It's not really clear how to pay with other cards as it was explicit in the old google wallet.

Adam Zeis

Adminstrator
Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
I had the same question. The only way I've found is to do just that — drag the other card to the default spot, then pay. Kind of annoying but I guess most people use one card more often than others anyway. Or maybe that's not even true. I just work here.

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
A bit annoying, but in Android Pay it's simply always going to pick the "default" card and make the payment. This means there's no additional interaction during payment — all you do is tap your phone to the terminal, and you've paid with the default card. As far as absolute simplicity goes, this really is the best. But of course not everyone wants to use one card for everything ... at least you can enter the Pay app beforehand and swap "default" cards if you really want.

Samsung Pay, on the other hand, has a bit different of an interface and has a default card, but lets you swipe to select another card right before you authenticate with your fingerprint and make the actual payment.

Just differences in design and philosophy of how it should be done, I suppose.

TJH132

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Speaking of design, I find the Android Pay app to be a bit of a throwback to the "good" old days of skeuomorphism. It's only missing some faux leather borders to represent a wallet.

Posted via the Android Central App

jaykresge

Oct 18, 2014
Visit site
The majority of people seem to use one card for most purchases. Then you have niche users that have separate cards for personal/business, or specific rewards, or other reasons. I swap cards based on rewards and type of expense.

Google's current design choice works for the majority. So for now, I have my primary personal card as default. Taking a different card out of the wallet is easier than swapping default cards in the app.

Windfrenzy

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I use different cards based on rewards too. I hope as this gets developed, users are allowed to make rules to use card X at restaurants, card Y at gas stations, etc. That would be great.

krishnansasikumar

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
I don't open the app while paying. So it just chooses the default card. It would have been better if it asks which card to choose, since I have many cards attached to it.

The system really has to mature. I wouldn't mind doing the extra step of choosing which card to pay from, if there are multiple cards attached.

Posted via Nexus 6 or Nexus 7

mrmoe110

Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
I don't open the app while paying. So it just chooses the default card. It would have been better if it asks which card to choose, since I have many cards attached to it.

The system really has to mature. I wouldn't mind doing the extra step of choosing which card to pay from, if there are multiple cards attached.

Posted via Nexus 6 or Nexus 7

That kinda defeats the purpose of not having to open the app when paying, in my opinion.

phpmaven

Nov 12, 2011
Visit site
I think it's a bit of a stretch to call those who use different credit cards "niche" users. I would imagine that many people use multiple credit cards. You should be able to simply touch the card you want to pay with. This is just poorly designed, plain and simple. At least have the option of paying with a default card or choosing each time.

talz13

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Again, like most of my "niche" requests, I'd like to see an option in the Android Pay settings to enable a choice of cards at payment time. When enabled, it could display the top X cards on the screen, and then the user would just tap which card they want to pay with. If the option's not enabled, the user would just pay with the default card by, well, default.

opuntia2

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
I have no choice but to compare Android Pay to Apple Pay. On my wife's iPhone if you hold the phone to the reader without using the TouchID, it'll then prompt you to choose a card. If you have already unlocked the phone, then it'll use the default (like Android). I do like Apple's solution.

Patrick Taz

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
...You should be able to simply touch the card you want to pay with. This is just poorly designed, plain and simple. At least have the option of paying with a default card or choosing each time.

But really, this is already there! You do 'simply touch' and drag the card to the top.. I'm hoping that the drag process isn't too strenuous :p

So you DO have the option, just not at the time of tapping, you do it BEFORE you tap.

This is one of those things where my first reaction was just like yours, but after using it I could see how much sense it makes.. You really want the process quick and simple, no opening apps (unless you want to)..
Unlock, Tap, Done!

mmidgley

Nov 20, 2011
Visit site
has anyone tried a tap to pay while the app is open and the desired non default card is tapped and therefore the only card showing? does it still use the default?

MarqBland

Oct 13, 2009
www.facebook.com
has anyone tried a tap to pay while the app is open and the desired non default card is tapped and therefore the only card showing? does it still use the default?

Yes it does. Just had that happen and it pissed me off. I had the card I wanted to use open and selected, but when I made the payment, it used the default card.

captainbdsc

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Yes it does. Just had that happen and it pissed me off. I had the card I wanted to use open and selected, but when I made the payment, it used the default card.

Yes, I can confirm this, it happened to me. I thought I could use a different card by just having it highlighted/selected when tapping. It still used the default card...

fiddell

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
I haven't had many chances to use android pay yet, but was wondering about this myself. Many of you were talking about various reasons for using different cards. Mine is due to credit availability. I too wanted to be able to switch cards at the point of purchase. But after reading lot of these posts here, I realized it definitely ruins the simplicity of tapping and paying without opening the app. Solution - decide what card to use before even leaving the house!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87