I hate that I need a password

jlekach

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
Is there any way to use Android pay but not have to lock my phone? It's annoying to have to do anything to get into my phone

Posted via the Android Central App

Im_DreCo

Apr 27, 2015
Visit site
Is there any way to use Android pay but not have to lock my phone? It's annoying to have to do anything to get into my phone

ANYONE would be able to use your phone to make payments if it didn't require a password or thumbprint. Why would you want that?

dmgerbino

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
I hate that I need a password too. The reality is we never should have been allowed to setup Google Wallet and turn off the password. Having a fingerprint scanner works better but Google needs to figure out a better way.

Posted via Android Central App

rfmike

Dec 2, 2009
Visit site
If you have an android wear watch, just use that as your smart lock.

yankeesusa

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
I hate that I need a password too. The reality is we never should have been allowed to setup Google Wallet and turn off the password. Having a fingerprint scanner works better but Google needs to figure out a better way.

Posted via Android Central App

Again, what is the point of using a secure form of payment and then leave it open for anyone to use? It's like getting an alarm system but disabling it and leaving your front door open.

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
All you need is a pattern, after that when you tap and pay, if it asks for pin on the terminal you select credit, you don't need to enter a pin. It's actually faster than g wallet

I'm not enabling lockscreen just to use Pay, which I rarely use.

Again, what is the point of using a secure form of payment and then leave it open for anyone to use? It's like getting an alarm system but disabling it and leaving your front door open.

Wallet works without lockscreen. Explain to me all you want on how Pay and Wallet differs in security, that won't make me enable lockcscreen, I'll just stop paying with my phone.

(Yes, lockscreen is that annoying to me. It's like remotely unlocking my car door, walk up to my car and manually unlocking it with my key...I don't need that extra step.)

fraliex

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
I must agree. I hate the fact I must have phone security enabled. The old Google Wallet didn't require it and I used NFC payments, and ISIS Wallet same. I understand setting up a PIN code or fingerprint scan in the application itself, but let me keep just a swipe screen.

TWC42

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
... let me keep just a swipe screen.
try the pattern lock. only need 4 spots that you can set up like a swipe.
then you are ready to use Android Pay (assuming NFC is on)
You don't have to find the app and enter a PIN as you did with Wallet

fraliex

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
try the pattern lock. only need 4 spots that you can set up like a swipe.
then you are ready to use Android Pay (assuming NFC is on)
You don't have to find the app and enter a PIN as you did with Wallet

Actually with the old Google Wallet you didn't have to launch the app Prior to paying. You could scan your NFC then the app would load and prompt for your pin. Once pin entered the payment was processed. I find that process is the same as if I had to key in my debit pin on the cash register pad.

jlekach

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't want that but I would prefer to have to use my password or finger print to open the app or to use a card. Not for my entire phone.

cozzy123

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
There are so many different smart locks included in Android please utilize them instead of complaining about assigning a pin or pattern.

I use face unlock because I don't always like putting my pin number in. Works fine for me. You can also do device smart lock which is if you have a Bluetooth device near the phone it keeps your phone unlocked. Location based smart lock. When you are at home it is always unlocked but work it is locked. There is even body detection based smart lock.

lkovach

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
ANYONE would be able to use your phone to make payments if it didn't require a password or thumbprint. Why would you want that?

With the old Google Wallet, you were able to set a pin on the app itself. With the update to Android Pay, you now have to lock the whole phone.

icwhatudidthere

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
All you need is a pattern, after that when you tap and pay, if it asks for pin on the terminal you select credit, you don't need to enter a pin. It's actually faster than g wallet

That hasn't been my experience at all. Even with smartlock and my trusted 360, you still have to enter your unlock pattern/pin on the phone after you first tap at a terminal. Once your phone verifies you, you have to tap again. Note I don't have to enter a PIN at the terminal since I don't use debit cards.

Compare that to Wallet, where you only enter your pin once per day. Then any successive uses go through with no security at all.

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
The same people who complain about having to unlock their phones are the same people who would blame google as soon as their account got hijacked or someone "borrowed" their phone to pay for their groceries.

Set your security to pattern unlock, your timeout to a half an hour and turn off the power button instantly locks option (I bet people complaining didn't do that last one). Do that and your phone is barely protected at all and you can still use android pay.

supert1020

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Just make sure your next phone has a fingerprint scanner. Its the easiest way to unlock your phone and unlock Samsung pay.

jasoraso

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I tool am missing the old Google Wallet. I have BT Headsets, Moto watch etc - and use smart unlock. I turned the "ask for Pin" on G Wallet to never. I only had to turn the screen on, and touch my phone - Bam - transaction completed. If I lost my phone, or someone stole my phone - the pin on the phone would prevent them from using my phone (unless they stole my watch, too). I felt comfortable with that level of security.

Now the app requires a Pin on the phone, which I am fine with - but it is also requiring PIN entry when I tap my phone :( Sometimes multiple times, too.
Hopefully this gets adressed !

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thtknt