password and virus apps

Addie_Goodvibes

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
IMHO you do not need an Antivirus App for an android phone. However, if you have habits of opening unknown e-mail attachments, downloading Apps from unknown/untrusted sources ..ect..

Lookout Mobile Security recieved good reviews from the tech community

AVG is also probably a good option based on the reviews & its reliability on Desktop systems AVG Review-CNET

No Antivirus App on a phone or PC will make up for smart user behavior.
  • Download apps only from know sources.
  • Be selective in your online data behavior.
  • Check permissions of apps.
  • Be careful of themes & other packages that change the system defaults.
  • When on a public WiFi be aware of posisble security vulnerabilities
  • Don't download un needed e-mail attachments that can wait to be scanned
    1st on a pc and downloaded.
with Androids rise in market share the possibility of malicious apps & virus' are a higher posisbility.

I am not confident that paying for an Antivirus app will really prevent a virus or corupt system file if other wise the user behavior is not guarded and didlgent in safe alert and proactive secure usage....

Another thing to note that a lot of these "anti-virus" programs run in the background and can be resource hungry battery life and performance drain...
If Nortons Android device is anything like it's PC counterpart I would advise agaianst it.

I have been running Linux at home for 6 years with out virus protection, I have not had ANY problems. I trust Android as it is running Linux under the hood

kamtsa

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
IMHO you do not need an Antivirus App for an android phone. However, if you have habits of opening unknown e-mail attachments, downloading Apps from unknown/untrusted sources ..ect..

Running priveleged apps from unknown sources is more prevalent than you think.

For example GoLauncher Ex (read contact data, modify/delete SD card content, retrieve running apps, etc) has > 250K downloads.

Do you know who are the developers behind this app? Their web site provide zero info about their identity.

This is just one example.