This probably sounds like a silly question...but I just started looking through it..and there's some REALLY cool stuff! I mean...I can make my phone ring like a kookaburra AND check the snow up on the mountain? How awesome! But...everything that seems too good to be true usually is.

My question...how safe IS the market? Can the apps steal your info or give the droid a virus?

My brother told me about "Lookout" and I just installed that.

But what about the free ringtones type apps? I'm looking at the feedback/reviews and they look okay...Just wondering if anyone had an opinion on the safety of the apps out there?
    02-06-2011 03:37 PM
    Just read the reviews... I don't load apps unless there are plenty of reviews.
    02-06-2011 11:32 PM
    I've been downloading and trying apps like crazy since last June, and no known problems yet. Things I do that I assume help include:

1) Look at the number of downloads on an app--If an app has a large number of downloads (choose your own comfort level) I assume that if there's a problem it most likely will have shown up with a lot of downloads.

2) Prefer apps from developers who are well-established and have several previous apps.

3) Look at the permissions carefully, and check the permissions again when an app is updated (I never allow auto-updating).
    02-06-2011 11:32 PM
    The Market is safe, the apps in it is a different story. You need to check the permissions each applicaitons requests before you install it and use your judgement. For example, does that free wallpaper app really needs access to my GPS location and contacts?

Note that some apps do require access to sensitive information to do your job. For example, a keyboard app needs access to your typing which means that if it is malicious, it can steal your passwords.

"caveat emptor"
    02-07-2011 10:50 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD