Best Launcher app

Cwey55

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
You're going to get about a million Nova votes, with a smattering of Action and Google Now votes. Just saved everyone from posting ;)

Posted via the Android Central App

Dude2

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I have been in the hand held devise business since 1997 with the Palm IIIx series. So far launcher’s/UI’s leap frog each other every 20-28 months and for 2H15 my work a day launcher is Nova 4.x.

I keep six to eight of the most popular launchers on my Note 3, Next Launcher 3D Shell, Nova, Apex. Etc. For me as a power business user I need the productivity of ToDo List, Calendar, other widgets, etc. that Nova supports. My home screens vary from 15 – 20# depending if I am trying out some new software or not. I also use Next 3D mainly on weekends it is just over the top for customization. Next is also fast and always stable.

Next has a 2D and 3D environment. Nova is only 2D Comparing 2D vs 2D Nova gets the nod, the 3D side of Next is another step in the UI world but it uses the same menu and navigation structure as the 2D side. Some of the 3D aficionados would not even consider a launcher with only a 2D side. Even though I can’t use it during the work week the 3D animations, pets, etc are amazing and stable.

I tend to measure productivity of a launcher in terms of getting the maximum information with the fewest number of swipes or clicks. So I set up full screen widgets on 6 of 15 separate home screens for email, full month calendar and meetings. You can swipe to different months right from the widget. Next also has a Side Slider bar to move from home screen to home screen, so you don't have to swipe past 4 plus screens to move to the farthest home screen. The Side Slider bar also has a pop up menu in it which can be very convenient. Next also has several pages of exclusive widgets which I find productive, unfortunately I am not able to take advantage of all the widgets because with the apps and folders I have set up and the 2 home screens for testing 9 home screens is not enough. I think Nova 4.1.0 Beta3 has unlimited home screens, this is a very productive feature to have.

Another benefit is Next gives you 7 Dock Rows, Nova gives you 5 Dock Rows.

Bottom Line:

- Next 3D Shell is fast, stable, has 2D and 3D environments. It used to be my everyday Launcher, but……..

- Nova has leap frogged Next. As of now the versions are super fast and stable enough. With the 15 home screens it can crash 3-6 times per day but it comes right back up in 1-2 sec. It is extremely impressive.

Your mileage may vary.

VZWsucks

Dec 3, 2014
Visit site
OK, what am I missing? Over the past several months I have heard so much about nova. I downloaded it today partly based on this thread and if I could find an alternative to the stock phone and contact I would be happy.

To my disappointment the launcher appears to be the same as the stock with the exception of a few minor details. The main thing for me was the phone and contact and their basically identical to the stock version. So seriously what am I missing or did I expect to much?

Sent from my DROID Turbo64 via Tapatalk

Dude2

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I can't speak to different themes for Nova but hopefully others will chime in. The number of home screens, the speed, the screen customization, the app widgets, etc are the draw for me.

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
OK, what am I missing? Over the past several months I have heard so much about nova. I downloaded it today partly based on this thread and if I could find an alternative to the stock phone and contact I would be happy.

To my disappointment the launcher appears to be the same as the stock with the exception of a few minor details. The main thing for me was the phone and contact and their basically identical to the stock version. So seriously what am I missing or did I expect to much?

Sent from my DROID Turbo64 via Tapatalk
Launchers can customize your home screens and app and widget drawer. They won't change or replace your dialer and contacts apps. You'll need a different dialer/contacts app.

Sent from my 6045I using Tapatalk

r0stig

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
No one has voted for Aviate yet? I've been using Aviate for, well I think from about when they lauched and I like it. The differens slides changes from what you are doing and what time of the day it is.

anon(9638631)

Oct 10, 2015
Visit site
I use Dodol launcher on all my Android devices and have for quite a while. Disclaimer: I use the version before the company called Line took it over (version 1.6.48). It is now called Line Launcher and from what I hear, it's very subpar therefore, I refuse to update it and I have the APK for my current version saved in case I accidentally hit update in the PS.

I've used Nova Prime, Google Now, Hola, Action, and others and I personally find the pre-Line Dodol Launcher superior to all.

Sarthytj

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
As most of the users go with Nova. I go for everything.me launcher. I agree that Nova is a beautiful launcher, but when it comes to productivity. Everything.me has a bit of an upper hand. It has a prediction bar in the home screen that allows the users to spot the events and missed phone notifications rather quickly.

Swipe left for 'quick call' shortcuts and your installed apps will be clubbed in as a category by itself.

But the downside is that the suggestions presented by the launcher are almost crap and the search is powered by bing.

Posted via the Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1