Bar code scanner

Charmed Juan

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
I see reference to the Droid having the ability to scan bar codes.
Is this something native to the Droid or is it an app?
I have downloaded several bar code apps but have never had them able to read one yet.

jyew

Jan 20, 2010
Visit site
I see reference to the Droid having the ability to scan bar codes.
Is this something native to the Droid or is it an app?
I have downloaded several bar code apps but have never had them able to read one yet.

I've read excellent reviews of ShopSavvy.. I did the scanner, but it just showed the camera image with a red line across it (like the laser). Anyways, haven't tried it yet.

bluebooeyes

Jan 22, 2010
Visit site
The development for Droid-sepcific bar code apps is underway. There are a few companies who currently offer apps like ShopSavvy, which someone already mentioned, that cater to the Android platform. I saw an interview recently on barcode.com about the ShopSavvy app and its compatiblity with Droids.

shovelheadhd

Dec 8, 2009
Visit site
I love shopsavvy, I find something on sell at bestbuy and I can compare it to local retailers and even web prices. Save myself $30 recently when looking at blurays, 3 pack was on sale at bestbuy so I scanned it and amazon had it a whole lot cheaper!

rip14

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
I use shopsavvy all the time.

Amazon also has a great one that allows you to scan barcodes, or you can just take a picture of the product and it will find it.

Ginbill

Oct 30, 2009
ohhjohn.tumblr.com
ShopSavvy works wonders for me. I have Barcode scanner too but only for those square ones that sometimes link to apps from online otherwise for products I use ShopSavvy

fyrman49

Jan 10, 2010
Visit site
I loaded Barcode Scanner and love it. It has the ability to share contacts by creating a barcode for the contact for others to scan. I was on the blogs, and noticed a barcode in the blog about Trapster. I scaned it of my monitor screen and voila.... took me to the app in the android market. pretty awesome. looking forward to what else I can discover with this app.

jyew

Jan 20, 2010
Visit site
If you have Amazon on your droid, there is also a barcode scanner to search. Very useful to get all the Amazon reviews.

o2bnclemson

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
Scan UPS shipping labels (FedEx too?)

One cool thing I found that Barcode Scanner will do that, to my knowledge, the others won't do, is scan shipping labels for easy tracking. I'm an Acct Exec for UPS and I found that I can scan the UPS bar code on the shipping label and it will convert it to a 1Z tracking number that I can then go to the web and track at UPS.com. I'm sure it works for FedEx as well, though I've not tried that specifically. Shop Savvy did not recognize the shipping bar code. I thought that was a pretty cool little option - and some of my customers have thought so as well.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
One cool thing I found that Barcode Scanner will do that, to my knowledge, the others won't do, is scan shipping labels for easy tracking. I'm an Acct Exec for UPS and I found that I can scan the UPS bar code on the shipping label and it will convert it to a 1Z tracking number that I can then go to the web and track at UPS.com. I'm sure it works for FedEx as well, though I've not tried that specifically. Shop Savvy did not recognize the shipping bar code. I thought that was a pretty cool little option - and some of my customers have thought so as well.

Download and install Mobile Package Tracker from the Market. It has a built in bar scanner. Totally awesome program.

Double Tap

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone done a comparison of ShopSavvy against Barcode Scanner and CompareEverywhere in a formal review?

Last edited: