So I have never used Google hangouts before and recently read a article on CNET regarding wifi calling and they list hangouts as one of the apps that uses the WiFi to make calls. Can any elaborate on this for me and suggest ? I live in a area that has poor cell tower coverage but I have Xfinity as my WiFi provider and its excellent. I am on AT&T have a Nexus 6. Also should note I use a microcell tower as well but its not very reliable still drop calls...
    10-31-2015 08:40 AM
    You can sign up for a Google Voice number and integrate it with the Hangouts app. If you install the Hangouts Dialer, you can also make phone calls over WiFi or your phone's data connection. Skype also allows you to make WiFi or data calls (charges apply). The Skype app also works well and let's you setup your account with your mobile number (for a fee).
    11-01-2015 01:30 AM
    You can sign up for a Google Voice number and integrate it with the Hangouts app. If you install the Hangouts Dialer, you can also make phone calls over WiFi or your phone's data connection. Skype also allows you to make WiFi or data calls (charges apply). The Skype app also works well and let's you setup your account with your mobile number (for a fee).
    I don't want to port my number or change it. It sounds like that's what I will have to do to use hangouts for wifi calling. I don't care for Skype to be honest and hangouts and dialer all in one icon appiles to me. Also how do I set hangouts dialer as default?
    11-01-2015 06:27 AM
    It can be difficult to change phone numbers. I had the same cell # for ten years, and I converted to GV. It took a little time, but it's easier to add a GV # than to change numbers completely. You will still have your regular number for people to call/txt you. It's a personal choice which I recognize doesn't work for some people.

I'm not aware of an option to set Hangouts Dialer as the default.
    11-01-2015 10:45 AM
    It can be difficult to change phone numbers. I had the same cell # for ten years, and I converted to GV. It took a little time, but it's easier to add a GV # than to change numbers completely. You will still have your regular number for people to call/txt you. It's a personal choice which I recognize doesn't work for some people.

I'm not aware of an option to set Hangouts Dialer as the default.
    OK so I would have two numbers than? Using GV # to dial and receive calls over WiFi instead of Carrier tower.
    11-01-2015 11:39 AM
    Correct, you have a few options for how to use your GV number. With Hangouts (and Dialer) you can send and receive SMS, MMS, and phone calls via WiFi or mobile data connection. Add the GV app and you can toggle the regular phone dialer to use either your carrier cell number or the GV number when making calls.

But, yes, you can use the two numbers in tandem.
    11-01-2015 12:06 PM