Would someone please give me a site that has the old version of Yahoo Mail.

Karalee70

Jun 26, 2015
Visit site
I did a factory reset on my HTC mini. I did a sync and back up when everything started coming back it also updated. Although my contacts and everything is there I do not like the new version 5.1 I have downloaded a few "older " versions but they were still the new. Auto update is off now. Thank you in advance for all help. First time on here.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! The official line from Yahoo is that you can't go back to an older version: https://help.yahoo.com/kb/SLN25091.html. The reason I point out this link is that it means there is no official Yahoo link for the older versions, which would be the safest and most reliable source. You'd have to find the apk installer file somewhere else, which is always a bit risky, since any of these filesharing sites with older apk files might harbor malware.

Karalee70

Jun 26, 2015
Visit site
Hi thank you so much. I downloaded and gave me the option for classic version. Have a great day.

Posted via the Android Central App

Hiroshi15

Oct 15, 2015
Visit site
Yes, please share since there must be many other users who can't stand the new version of the yahoo mail app and would prefer to go back to the classic version. Go to the Google play store on your device, search for yahoo mail app, then read some of the reviews over the last 3 days since they forced the update containing the new version. It's not pretty.

Hiroshi15

Oct 15, 2015
Visit site
B. Diddy,

Tech consumers have many mail/messaging choices these days and the competition between providers remains strong. With that in mind WHY would yahoo shoot themselves in the foot with this poor mail app? On top of that (as your link cryptically points out), not allowing users to choose between versions is going to drive them away in droves.

Seems like this forced update was an ill-conceived attempt to make yahoo look like g-mail (without the functionality) in order to appeal to younger costumers. The mistake here is no matter how "modern" they attempt to make yahoo mail look; younger people will probably not use it simply because it's their parents' (grandparents?) e-mail.

If they're not going to make any improvements other than "style" - wouldn't it have been better for Yahoo to leave things alone and hold onto the last several million "older" users that they have?

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I agree with you to a large extent--apps that get an overhaul in terms of UI can be a huge problem if the changes are poorly executed. Yahoo's been doing this kind of thing over the past 2-3 years, possibly in an attempt to emulate Google's services (and therefore retain those customers who might want to defect to Google)(remember that Marissa Mayer was originally from Google). They changed their webmail site to look and behave much more like Gmail, but it was glitchy and clunky, and probably drove more people away.

The problem with making multiple versions available to the users, though, is that it starts to cause the dreaded issue of fragmentation. If different users are using different versions of the app, then it's harder to push out new features to everyone. Security is probably also a consideration as well, since older versions may not be as secure as newer ones. It'd be nice if there were a way to toggle between the new UI and the old, but that would also add to the size of the app, which would be bad for those people with low internal storage.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the purpose of the update may have been to add more Material Design language to the app, because users also complain about apps that aren't consistent with the rest of Google's design language.

kuhns787

Jul 17, 2014
Visit site
I too would like a link to the file you are using as I hate the new app and tried a couple of older apk. Files and they are still the new ones.

rsnsx

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I've had Yahoo email for over 15 years, the latest Android update was and still is a disaster. Fortunately you can uninstall the current version & find the previous version 4.9.2 on APKMirror.com Then just change your Play Store settings so your apps do NOT auto update.

The old version still works fine and maintains the theme I had on my Galaxy S5 and Galaxy Tab S

Posted via the Android Central App

Hiroshi15

Oct 15, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the info rsnsx, but I won't be going back. I had been toying with the idea of dumping my 2 yahoo accounts (personal/business) for a couple years now and this new mail app trickery sealed the deal for me. I am now 100% on Google. I did, however, change the update settings on my phone so hopefully there will be no more sneaky unwanted updates from anyone...other than HTC.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol