Review - Pandora Radio for Android

DJInBoise

Dec 20, 2009
www.gigadroid.com
Pandora Radio for Android

Pandora has been around on PC?s for years. There?s also news that Pandora will be available in new Ford automobiles. Now Pandora has come to the Android platform.

Pandora Radio is a free service that lets you stream your favorite music to your Android phone. All you have to do is type in the name of a favorite artist and Pandora does the rest. The app will create a ?station? based on the genre of music. It then plays the music of your favorite band and anything similar.
mytouch_now_playing_400.jpg

What I love most about Pandora is it finds new music based on what I already like. Therefore I?m discovering new bands.
mytouch_stations_400.jpg

Pandora saves your information with your account so you can access your music preferences from any device.
mytouch_widget_400.jpg

If you love discovering new music this is the app for you. Pandora is a must have app for any Android phone including the Motorola Droid and Google Nexus One.

You can download this app direct to your android phone. Just scan the QR code below with Barcode Scanner application from Android Market:
chart

Check out more Android reviews on GigaDroid.com

Corey

Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
If you have used both, how would you compare it to Slacker? I used Pandora a while ago and found the music it picked for me didn't really match up as well to my tastes as Slacker did.

o2bnclemson

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
I like it. Like Corey mentioned, some of the matches it picked weren't really matches by my definition, but it's just a computer trying to figure out what I like. I just touched the thumbs-down and now I've got a pretty good little playlist, so to speak. The only thing I don't like, and it's not a big deal, is that it seems to play the female and male artists in blocks -- several female, then several male, and so one, which I found odd.

I'm an XM/Sirius subscriber who prefers the old XM channels. My playlist has turned out to be a pretty good duplication of one of my favorite old channels that got the axe when the merges - XM Cafe (ch 45). I also put together a nice alt-rock station that combines the 90s and current alt-rock, kind of like Ethel and Lucy did on XM (47 and 54).

Haven't used Slacker, so can't offer a comparison there.

R

Roy Aguilera

Slacker has more of a variety but pauses alot and has those idiotic commercials. Then when you exit (everytime) it pitches the upgrade again. Pandora sounds better and has no hiccups. The next song starts immediately. No sales pitch. I dig it very much.

Oh and the slacker widget looks like a gangsta put it together while the Pandora one is tasteful. Haven't used Slacker in a minute cause of those flaws I mentioned and the file size.

trentandrews

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
I got the upgrade to Pandora a couple of days ago. Has anyone else had a problem with Pandora not working. I try to start it and all I get it a blank screen. I can reboot my phone, and it will work once.