GPS app that does not use maps

exmeaguy

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I'm looking for a GPS app that tracks my movements but does not use the internet to update my movements on a map. I'm looking for something that just maps the movements by placing dots on a blank screen that I can view while I am moving. When I am done logging, it should be able to upload the logging file to my pc so I can load into Google Earth.

I want this type of app so it uses very little battery and does not hit the internet. I use to have a Blackberry Storm and they have an app called GPSlogger that did this and it worked great.

I have not been able to find any app that does this in the Android market.

Anyone know of something similar?

BSG75

Custom User Title
May 11, 2010
Visit site
myTracks

It's a Google "20%" project. Just turn off the internet while using, if you want. It will still take GPS positions, and you can upload to Google Maps & Docs directly, or download in other formats.

exmeaguy

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
The attachment is from the app from my Storm that shows the GPS tracking without using the Internet. It puts a dot every 20 seconds (user setting). Like in this case, it's helpful when you are doing a loop hike to gauge how much further you need to go. When you are done you can upload the GPS coordinates file to your PC.

I have yet to find any app that is similar to this. The GPSlogger app in the Android market is not the same app or developer.

Xopher

Trusted Member
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
MyTracks sounds promising. I used GPSLogger on my BlackBerry as well for tracking hiking and biking trips. It was nice since you didn't have to have maps displayed, but still collect trip info.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay