"Better Keyboard"?

TreyDaPrince

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
I tried it out. Wasn't for me. The keyboard wasn't as responsive as the stock keyboard and it lagged a lot.

Don't know about the sensitive information though.

prometheus

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I haven't used it. Not to be off-topic... but, have you checked out swype? It's really growing on me.

If you're concerned about security because of that warning thing that pops up somewhere that says the keyboard app stores all of your keystrokes or something like that -- I wouldn't be concerned.

NEKRO

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
I have been using it for awhile without issue until recently. There have been lag issues and random closes (not force close). I even uninstalled and reinstalled and am still having some lag issues. It is still decent though.

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
i use it off and on, right now the 2.1 keyboard is working out the best for me.

once a good multitouch keyboard comes out with autocorrect (unlike the one that is in the market now) i'll have my new keyboard :)

MikeB

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
once a good multitouch keyboard comes out with auto correct (unlike the one that is in the market now) i'll have my new keyboard :)

How would you use a multitouch keyboard?

I'm using swype for on screen typing and just recently start using the slide out keyboard a lot.

Last edited:

Flyguide83

Nov 16, 2009
www.northwestfrontier.com
I don't like it...I paid for it, downloaded a bunch of skins used it for about a week then deleted...same thing with talk to me keyboard...downloaded ttm for the voice function..It sucked so I emailed dev and suggested they use predictive text for physical keyboard and they did...but it still want great.. got swype and used it for a while but grew tired of the strange predictive text words popping up... tried ttm again now that they have better keyboard skin support...fc ask over the place and lagging all over with lots of mic popups for no reason..uninstall again and back to swype..I really wish swype had predictive text for physical keyboard....

jhamilton3#CB

Nov 19, 2009
Visit site
I tried hard to like Better Keyboard but it has never seemed to work properly for me.

-Laggy
-Not many cool/decent looking keyboards to use
-Force closes the most out of any app I've downloaded
----Based on all this it doesn't make the keyboard better at all.

And the regular stock Android keyboard is not bad at all.. so its really no big deal that Better Keyboard is a fail.

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
How would you use a multitouch keyboard?

I'm using swype for on screen typing and just recently start using the slide out keyboard a lot.

the benefit to a multitouch keyboard is it can account for the sequence you are hitting the letters even if you have pushed the second letter before taking your fingers off the first.

so if i want to type "dog" i can hit "d" and then "o" right after and then move to "g" and a good multitouch keyboard will know the sequence of my keystrokes and end up with "dog" right now with the android keyboard (or better keyboard) if you do that, you will end up with "dg" because the keyboard doesn't see the second input made while you still had your finger on "d"

it comes in handy if you type really fast. google's refusal to implement multitouch input into their core apps is really starting to get on my nerves.

one thing i feel that BK does better than the stock keyboard is its correction algorithm seems to be able to figure out what you were trying to type based on key proximity better than stock, if they could make it faster i would go back to it. (or if they added multitouch)

i tried out swype for a while, but muscle memory still is faster than having a retrain myself a new way to type.

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
Smart Keyboard is said to use multi touch.

yea, i've tried that one (it was the one i was kind of referencing) but without any type of correction or dictionary (i can't think of the right word for it for the file of me right now) it isn't quite there yet.

it's got potential though, and the dev is pretty good at taking advice and adding new new features and whatnot, so it could be my next keyboard, jut not yet. :p

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
so smart keyboard came out with an update that adds things like autocorrect, dictionary use, and other auto formatting features.

it is now my favorite keyboard, i can fly on it, and since the layout pretty much mimics the stock keyboards, i don't have to learn to reposition my fingers.

look it up in the market, it's a great keyboard (and aside from BK's skins, blows it out of the water imho)

chaddymoff

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
Downloaded, bought, used for a while, uninstalled. Now mainly use Swype and occasionally then landscape on-screen keyboard standard.

YoungChrisG

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
This is probably a stupid question, but on iPhone keyboard, is it more the multi-touch or the programing in the keyboard (algorythims and such) that make it's word detections so much better than everything else in the touch screen world?