In its current iteration, MSO is little more than a file viewer. The exception is Outlook and that app has limited functionality. The other available office suites offer enough functionality for most people to be somewhat satisfied for a phone/tablet office suite. Am I missing something about MSO?
    01-04-2016 01:37 PM
    Just integration with MS Enterprise solutions (Sharepoint, Exchange, etc.) and a few propietary functions that only work with MS Office; chances are, though, you're not using them or will miss them.

It does have more editing options and rev control than other suites, though.
    01-04-2016 02:01 PM
    I create spreadsheets using Excel on my tablet. Also, I create documents with Word. For me, it's much more than a file viewer.
    01-06-2016 10:37 AM
    And I think that was his point... Office on mobile is now very capable, but so are the other FREE alternatives (non-MS). Even Google Docs is packing a nice set of features and it used to be bare-bones.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    01-06-2016 11:19 AM
    If all you want is a "file viewer" than I recommend WPS Office. It's small, will read the office files, and PDFs as well.
    01-07-2016 09:53 AM
    I should clarifying by adding: what is the need for MSO if you are not going pay for a subscription? Yes, I have used MSO for years in business but only connected to MSO by running Outlook through an MS Exchange server. So MSO will always be just file viewers unless MS changes their policy on mobile versions.
    01-07-2016 07:17 PM
    I use Linux and the Linux alternatives to MS Office. There are times that, no matter how good the alternatives are, they don't get the formatting right in documents created by MS Office or documents to be read in MS Office. It's good to have the original programs not only to read MS Office documents but also to edit and create them, especially if I know that someone will be using MS Office to open the documents. A lot of people still use MS Office on their desktops.

I also agree with Irvine08 that we can take it as a freebie from Microsoft.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    01-08-2016 10:12 AM