App to always control media volume

lumpy211

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Hi folks, I need an app suggestion. I don't want the volume control buttons to control the ringer volume, I want it to always control the media volume. Is there an app that lets me do this? I'm not interested in a widget that lets me control media volume from the widget, I want the actual hardware buttons to always control media regardless of what I'm currently doing, so please don't suggest a widget.

El Jefe

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Huh? I'm confused. Don't the hardware volume buttons already control the media volume when a media app is running? I know it does on both mine & my wife's phone. If I were listening to music, for instance, the volume buttons on the side would control the volume of the player...not my ringer volume.

Only if I don't have any media playing, do the hardware volume buttons control the ringer volume & if you don't have any media going, why would you then need to control your phone's media volume? :confused:

lumpy211

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Huh? I'm confused. Don't the hardware volume buttons already control the media volume when a media app is running? I know it does on both mine & my wife's phone. If I were listening to music, for instance, the volume buttons on the side would control the volume of the player...not my ringer volume.

Only if I don't have any media playing, do the hardware volume buttons control the ringer volume & if you don't have any media going, why would you then need to control your phone's media volume? :confused:

In some applications when no media is playing you can't control the media volume (e.g. Frozen Bubble, for one), so when a sound does play and the volume is really high and I have to scramble to turn it down. Another example would be when starting music from lock screen controls - I can't change the volume until after starting playback (or entering the music app, which is just an extra unnecessary step if I can start it from my lock screen).

I don't want the volume of my ringer to change. I can mute the ringer easily enough from the lock screen if I have to. I figured I might as well put the volume buttons to use.

bouvrie

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Did you find a solution for this problem? I'm in the same boat and would like to abuse my volume buttons for actual useful things rather than setting my ringer volume.

On Windows Mobile I had a kickass tool AEBPlus that allowed me to change the hardware buttons' actions, allowing up to 4 actions per button (1-, 2- or 3-time press, long press). I want this in Android too so I can put my hardware buttons to better use.

*edit*

I found Rocking Shortcuts to overrule the hardware buttons like AE Button Plus. Perhaps it would allow for an override of the sound stream in volume setting, but it seems like this app no longer exists. Also, the possible hit on battery life would be a downer.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital