Helium : How to back up Marshmallow devices (fully encrypted)

Rooster99

Jul 4, 2012
Visit site
Backing up to internal storage gives me an error "Backup Error. An error occurred while performing your app backup. This error may be caused by having a Desktop Backup Password. Please verify your Desktop Backup Password is a blank password, then press back to return to Helium".

This happens when I select all apps, then back up to internal storage it prompts me for a password as my device is encrypted (Marshmallow comes with encryption turned on by default). I don't enter anything - it doesn't even really give you time to anyway - then it says "Backing up", then after a while it gives me that error.

I went into Developer Options and saved a black password again just to be sure, but no joy.

Running a Nexus 5X with Marshmallow. Both Marshmallow and Helium are up to date.

TIA - R.

itguyjax8430

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Backing up to internal storage gives me an error "Backup Error. An error occurred while performing your app backup. This error may be caused by having a Desktop Backup Password. Please verify your Desktop Backup Password is a blank password, then press back to return to Helium".

This happens when I select all apps, then back up to internal storage it prompts me for a password as my device is encrypted (Marshmallow comes with encryption turned on by default). I don't enter anything - it doesn't even really give you time to anyway - then it says "Backing up", then after a while it gives me that error.

I went into Developer Options and saved a black password again just to be sure, but no joy.

Running a Nexus 5X with Marshmallow. Both Marshmallow and Helium are up to date.

TIA - R.

Did you ever figure out what the issue was?

Takowasa

Oct 1, 2016
Visit site
I had been looking for a solution to the same exact problem.

Try disabling screen lock option under Security in Setting.
It worked for me!

Dan Behun

Jan 4, 2017
Visit site
This irritated me, and there didn't appear to be an answer online.

To fix it, do:
1. Change your Desktop Password to be something, doesn't matter what.
2. Select only a few apps (not all).
3. Start the backup.
4. Keep hitting the top entry area, so it doesn't move from the screen.
5. Type in your password.
6. Hit the backup button on the bottom right.
7. Navigate back to the Helium app.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci