Private message options

HFC123

Apr 12, 2016
Visit site
Hi,

Can anyone tell me how to hide messages on an S7 Edge running Marshmallow that isn't jailbroken?

I am new to android, but seems as though all the apps that claim to do this haven't worked since Lolipop 5.0......

Would it work to have a seperate messaging app for some contacts, and then hide that app using another app?

Any suggestions very welcome!

cpaight

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
You can turn off notifications so they don't pop up on your screen, but you'd have to do it for the whole app, I don't think you can do it for specific contacts.

Also if you're using a launcher like Nova or Apex there's the option to hide apps so they don't appear in your app drawer.

HFC123

Apr 12, 2016
Visit site
To explain further, the ideal would be to hide WhatsApp messages with a single contact, but i get the impression that this is impossible without jailbreaking. Or not even then?

The next best option would be to have sms messages from some contacts sent to a different location to others. I had hoped that something like NQ Vault would do this, but since android 5.0 that seems impossible. Would be great to be shown otherwise.

My final thought is to communicate with some contacts exclusively though email, and then hide the app used to do so.

Using a launcher, could the messages from some contacts be sent to a different app than the majority?!

Any help appreciated!

cpaight

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I don't know of any way to hide message from a single contact within a messaging app and still have access to them. Usually that is more of a blocking function....but I could be wrong.

Email would allow you to route certain contacts to another folder but ultimately it will depend on the specific email program as to just how hidden those messages are.

You best bet would probably be to use one messaging app for your usual contacts and a separate one (that you could then hide) for those contacts you don't want to be seen. You could also look thru Google Play for keywords like "encrypted messaging" or "secret text".

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
Sounds like you are trying to prevent someone else in your house from reading messages to you on your phone.
If that is the case, the easy solution is to use the lock code on the security screen of your phone (or change the code and don't tell anyone what it is).

bigdave757

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
Go sms has a private box where messages from people you want to hide go there and you aren't notified. You just put in your pin to see the messages

Posted via the Android Central App

HFC123

Apr 12, 2016
Visit site
Hi,

Thanks for the suggestions. As mentioned, as far as i can see none of the apps in the play-store work since lollipop changed the way the default messenger worked.

Go SMS would be fine - if the box wasn't labelled Private! As it is, this simply labels a sub-set of messages as being particularly interesting!

Is there anyway of using Go SMS for messaging some people, then using a launcher to hide it. Meantime, most messages would be handled through another message app?

Had no idea this would be so difficult!