anyone else find Swype annoying?

flipteg

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
don't get me wrong, i like slide type keyboards. it is my preferred text input. i have been using SlideIT for a year now on my Nexus One. i also briefly used Swype beta on that phone but i stuck with SlideIT due to the annoyances of Swype.

i was a bit excited when i found out that the Atrix has an OEM Swype. for some reason, i assumed it will be better than the beta that i had used prior.

i find it really annoying that Swype doesn't give the users option to either add a word or use it just one time. once i mistype a word and press space, it is added to the Swype dictionary, and that typo will continue to show over and over again in the suggestions, often times even appearing as the first choice! if i accidentally add more strings to that typo, Swype will add an even longer nonsense word.

i can appreciate that Swype is making it easy for the program to learn words but this easy learning ability really has it's downside. i have been using Swype on my Atrix since Feb 22 and the dictionary is already filled with useless junk that Swype added to it's dictionary that often times the suggestion window is useless. i know i can delete words from the dictionary but it is not practical since Swype does not offer an easy way to do it. the way it's done, you have to type the typo that you want to remove. select that word and then press the Swype button to delete it. imagine having to do that every single time you accidentally press the space key on a mis-spelled word. i can only imagine how the Swype dictionary will look after a couple of months use.

on top of that, Swype has a really annoying bug that will tell you that legitimate words are being covered up by a word that "you" have added. there is no way to turn this notification off and as more and more typos get added, it only gets worse and worse.

predictive text is only as good as its vocabulary!

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
First let me say I love Swype! I haven't used any other keyboard like this, but I certainly see no need to as Swype fits all my needs.

As for removing a word: RTFM. I quote: "To remove a word from the dictionary, highlight ONLY the word that you want to delete, and then tap the Swype key. A message screen will display to confirm that you want to delete the word."

Go to the keyboard settings, scroll down and select "Swype help".

flipteg

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
RTFPost: i know how to remove words from the dictionary. i think everybody who uses Swype does as the "hidden word" pop up bug reminds us of it every single time it suggests a useless word that somehow ended up in the dictionary. the problem is the user can only delete words when they are presented as a suggesion. i.e. the user has no way of knowing exactly what useless words are in the dictionary until Swype actually presents them as a suggestion. considering how easily Swype "learns" everything, it is a pain to delete words one by one in this manner.

jj2me

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
i find it really annoying that Swype doesn't give the users option to either add a word or use it just one time. once i mistype a word and press space, it is added to the Swype dictionary, and that typo will continue to show over and over again in the suggestions, often times even appearing as the first choice! if i accidentally add more strings to that typo, Swype will add an even longer nonsense word.

... and the dictionary is already filled with useless junk that Swype added to it's dictionary that often times the suggestion window is useless. i know i can delete words from the dictionary but it is not practical since Swype does not offer an easy way to do it. ... i can only imagine how the Swype dictionary will look after a couple of months use.

on top of that, Swype has a really annoying bug that will tell you that legitimate words are being covered up by a word that "you" have added. there is no way to turn this notification off and as more and more typos get added, it only gets worse and worse.

predictive text is only as good as its vocabulary!

THANK YOU, flipteg. Swype seems to be fighting me several times a day. My big hands probably contribute to the problem, but of my five keyboards, it's only Swype that wants to fight me.

One thing, though, is that I've seen Swype get semi-smart after an episode of pop-ups that say something like ""What" is hidden by "Wjat" and to correct this we have no button to push, but you must instead do laborious things to avoid us implementing the button." During that episode, it's a fight. But the next day or use or app (I don't know which, because I always give up and go to another keyboard), it behaves better: "What" is now green and at the top of the list. (Wjat is there lurking just below, smugly proud that it's ready for when future language authorities accept it as a word.)

Another thing I dislike, and I may be wrong on this, but I've never been able to dismiss the keyboard with anything but the hard back button.

pittsm

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
at first i liked swype but after using it alot i hate it...

x2, the more i use it the more i hate it. what it needs is the ability to view the entire dictionary and remove and adds words as you please. there's lots of real words i'd love to take out because i simply don't use them.

tbizzy1985

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Used swype for about a month and switched back to the standard keyboard. It took way too long to go back thru each text and fix words. Annoying!

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
RTFPost: i know how to remove words from the dictionary. i think everybody who uses Swype does as the "hidden word" pop up bug reminds us of it every single time it suggests a useless word that somehow ended up in the dictionary. the problem is the user can only delete words when they are presented as a suggesion. i.e. the user has no way of knowing exactly what useless words are in the dictionary until Swype actually presents them as a suggestion. considering how easily Swype "learns" everything, it is a pain to delete words one by one in this manner.

Yep, tis true. And I really meant to put a ;) after the RTFM, so I certainly deserved the RTFPost.

As for the hidden words, you are also correct and it sounds like the new version will finally fix this bug.

But, I still love it. :D

flipteg

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
i love Swype as well which is why i kept going back and forth between Swype and SlideIT. i did used SlideIT much more because of the Swype issues i mentioned. when i got the Atrix, i was excited to see it had an OEM Swype. i never had a phone that came with OEM Swype so i assumed the OEM version will somehow be better.

thanks for the heads up. i just installed the latest beta. i will use it for a couple of days and see how it goes. but on quick testing, pressing space after a mis-type still automatically adds typos to the dictionary. i'm still hoping though that they did something to the back end that will prioritize often used words rather than giving gibberish words the first pick. :)

flipteg

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
i just realized a major defect of Swype for me. according to a Swype forum admin in this post, all versions of Swype beta expires after 100 days. the way their update works is it requires the users to uninstall the previous version to install the new version. if i have to do that every 100 days, that will mean i will have to re-teach Swype all over again every time a new update is released. i don't know what they're trying to do here, but why can't they just update their software like all the other developers so user saved data is not deleted. that's probably the reason why they haven't bothered to fix the ease of pollution getting into the dictionary because everything resets every 3 months for all of their beta testers.

the only versions that don't expire are the OEM's, but with those, we are at the mercy of the carriers and phone makers for updates.

backbeat

Banned
Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
Swype is more than annoying. It simply doesn't belong on a phone. Tablet? Possibly. Annoying to the point that I've come to refer to it as SMEAR!

JMusic

Nov 19, 2009
Visit site
I've tried Swype multiple times and I keep going back to Shapewriter. Shapewriter is Swype done right.

The Shapewriter creators removed it from the market, but I'm glad I have a copy stashed away for all future installs. Nuance bought Shapewriter and then yanked it. I assume there will be a new version from Nuance eventually.

Wyomingnan

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I've been using the Atrix version (I guess OEM) for quite some time and I grew to like it but I think I'm going back to the keyboard to try that again.I am so sick of the nonsense words in the predictive suggestions & now I am going back and spending way too much time making corrections. The keyboard doesn't make stupid, nonsense suggestions. Bye, bye Swype.

jtwildman1

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I like the FlexT9 keyboard better. If you haven't used it, you should give it a try. My problem with Swype is it isn't very good at the word suggestions. I spend more time deleting and re typing/swyping than I do with any other keyboard.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
I've tried Swype multiple times and I keep going back to Shapewriter. Shapewriter is Swype done right.

The Shapewriter creators removed it from the market, but I'm glad I have a copy stashed away for all future installs. Nuance bought Shapewriter and then yanked it. I assume there will be a new version from Nuance eventually.

Shapewriter is kinda wack lol love the design but it def has nothing on Swype.

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide

Calilah

May 13, 2012
Visit site
My swype on Samsung captivate was great until I upgraded my phone to Froyo 2.2. Now it is continuously adding incorrect words to the dictionary. It used to be a lot "smarter." Now, when I tell it to delete an incorrect word, that same word will show up again later. It also has a tendency to place the last punctuation or space in the middle of the last word. Grossly