Jumping from Windows phone to Android

Queen Kong1

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
I've been playing with a Samsung , and i must say apps have got better since jelly bean days. Should i jump? currently using Lumia 640, I feel like there is always promises to update apps, and get apps full stop that its getting boring waiting. Android offers so many more apps and the quality is getting better, but i like the build of Lumia. Anyone else feel the same?, Microsoft are a good company but taking sooooooo long. Would you go from Android to Windows or are Apps more important?? Thoughts............

Tim1954

Q&A Team
Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
I love android and Samsung! If you are happy to fiddle with many settings etc then go for it. There are myriad adjustments in these devices, it's easy to brick a phone if you poke at things you don't understand. Software updates aren't always timely (unless you run nexus) and companies abandon updating after a couple of years... so there are negatives and positives. Personally I've had samsung galaxy models from S2-S7! It's a personal choice. :)

George Guayante

May 3, 2016
Visit site
I just made the jump this past weekend, from Icon to Samsung S7. A few first thoughts. I left WP because there are so few apps, because I was getting monthly notices that apps I was using were leaving - most recently Here Maps, and because I felt double crossed by Microsoft's blocking the Windows 10 update from my phone. Upon moving, I have been happy with the number of apps that are out there, and the fact that many of the ones I had in Windows have more functionality in Android.

This is my first Android phone after many years in Windows, so I expected a learning curve. I didn't expect it to be quite so steep and unintuitive. After three days of fiddling, I still haven't got this phone to do some very basic things my Icon did natively out of the box. Yes I know there are things my new phone does that old phone will probably never do, but that's due to the app environment, not the basic platform.

A case in point is something I really miss: with my WP in my pocket I could hop in the car and take off down the road, and if a text came in, my phone would read it to me and ask if I wanted to dictate and send a reply through my car's microphone and speakers - no looking, no taps. It did that out of the box without having to search for and install a separate app, and perhaps disable something running in the background. I miss that. That's something I'm still working on, and I think I've found the app that will get me there, but shouldn't some things just work?

So it's been a long and frustrating few days. I'm confident I'll be a happy user once I've got the hang of android. I already love the hardware - it has a premium feel and is fast, with no lack of accessories and apps.

casa11

May 9, 2016
Visit site
Hi George can you share your experience with me? I am moving from a Lumia 1520 to Nexus6p and I am very frustrated by the lack of in-car operability that I had on WP, any suggestions for that specifically and general suggestions on a preferred path to follow for my transition?