Whether it's the Blackberry Playbook, or multitasking on WP7, everyone is trying to imitate WebOS's intuitive "cards" multitasking, and with good reason. Let's face it, they got it right, and it's much better than what is currently offered on Android. Ever wish you could get the "cards" metaphor on Android? Then Itching Thumb is for you.

Itching Thumb is a partial homescreen replacement. You still have full access to your old launcher, but you can also use Itching Thumb as your homescreen. There isn't a full app drawer, so it isn't very practical, but pressing the home button gives you access to your old launcher, so it is usable. You can also access Itching Thumb by double tapping the home button, or holding down search. Opening the app brings you to a set of card-like previews of your running tasks. You can open the app to its last screen by pressing the preview, just like in WebOS. The cards can be arranged flat, condensed, or in a carousel (sorry, no stacks).

The app provides more options than just task switching. You get the flick to kill option taken from WebOS (don't hate, I need it to close the browser when I'm trying to sign in to my college's wifi), and it works without a hitch. There's also a cool "getsures" feature, in which you can set a gesture for certain apps, open a gesture area, and launch apps straight from Itching Thumb. The gesture sensitivity is okay, but I have trouble tracing in the small area the app provides. Cool, but not very functional for me.

Since this is technically in beta, there are some drawbacks to using Itching Thumb. First, you will probably lose the ability to use the home button to go to your default screen from any other screen. Not a big deal for me, but if you need that option, be aware. There is also a slight laginess, but nothing too serious (might even be a placebo effect, since I haven't noticed it recently). If you can deal with these, and miss/want the multitasking of WebOS, then give Itching Thumb a try. It's free on the Market.

Itching Thumb
    DroidXcon likes this.
    03-13-2011 09:42 PM
    I am new to Android. I came from a Palm Pre to a Nexus 4G. I was excited when I heard about this app, but was disappointed when I installed on my phone and nothing happened! Every time I double click the home key, I did not see a row of cards, but a blank screen instead. Do you have any advice on how I can make Itching Thumb work, because I would really liked using the Webos card concept? Thanks.
    05-18-2011 07:53 PM
    Try launching it from the app drawer. Like I said, it's beta, so there is some jankiness.
    05-18-2011 07:56 PM
    I tried it too and couldn't get the app to work which is a shame because I would have gladly paid/donated for an app that could mimic webOS.
    02-12-2012 01:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD