Built-in apps keep crashing and other problems?

Cersei27

Mar 30, 2016
Visit site
So my HTC Desire 616 suddenly started having problems 2 days ago. My HTC browser, Messages, Calendar, etc. crash as soon as I launch them. I can't open my Phone Book. I freed up some space uninstalling updates to no avail. Also, my home and back buttons, and the bar that shows the battery level and other details keep disappearing. The phone keeps freezing.
I don't have the slightest idea of what the problem might be, but I remember that before this started happening some apps starting updating automatically. I think it was Google Play Books or something. I didn't want the updates because I don't use them but I don't remember if I stopped it or not. The next thing I remember is the phone crashing. Maybe they're causing the problems? But if they were, all of this would be okay again when I uninstalled the updates. HOWEVER, I did not uninstall Google Play Books. I can't find it in my apps!!! It's there but it's not showing in Settings. Can it be the problem? Or can a hardware connection be loose or something?

I really want to backup my HTC Browser history and bookmarks but I can't because it won't open. Is there a way to connect the phone to the PC and back up data without operating the phone/installing anything on it?

Thanks.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Try booting into Safe Mode, which temporarily disables all 3rd party apps. The steps for the 626 should work for your phone: https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-22682

If the problem disappears in Safe Mode, then something you installed is causing the problem. You may have to uninstall apps one by one until the problem disappears. If the problem persists in Safe Mode, then it's more likely to be a hardware or firmware problem.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dedehammac