I have noticed a bug in messenger (and hangouts when I used it) where you do not receive a notification sound when the device is not locked.

For example, I am having a conversation with someone in messenger and believe the conversation to be done. I place the phone down on the night stand with the screen on and the messenger app open. A message comes through from the other person I was chatting with but I get no notification sound or light to indicate something new has arrived. I have no idea anything came in because the screen is on but I can't see it. The phone goes into normal sleep mode after 1 minute and I never realize someone has sent a message.

The notification light and sound work perfectly when the device is locked but not when the app is open and the screen on. This can be quite annoying not knowing that a message has come through. This problem has plagued me off and on for a while across 2 phones now, Moto G and Nexus 5X. It seems to get corrected sometimes but then an update will come and it gets reintroduced again.

When I was using hangouts there was a topic on the google product forums where some people complained but it never seemed to get fixed. There is no specific messenger forum on the Google product forums so I'm not sure where to report this.

Any info for fixing this issue or at least where to let Google know about this problem would be greatly appreciated.
    05-20-2016 04:15 PM
    It's pretty standard for messaging apps not to sound a notification tone if the app is open to that messaging thread (the rationale being that if the app is open to that thread, the user is probably looking at the thread and can see when a message arrives). Admittedly, there are situations when the user won't be looking directly at the screen, but I'm not aware of any setting to change this for Messenger or Hangouts. Other messaging apps will sound a tone, even when open to the thread (like Verizon's Messages+ app, I think). The way I avoid this issue is always to exit out of the messaging thread when I'm done with it.

As an aside, I've been noticing some issues with Hangouts on my Nexus 6P, where after some undetermined amount of time, new SMS messages or Hangouts IMs that arrive only cause the phone to vibrate instead of sound a tone, even though it's still set for an audible notification. I have to reboot the phone for the tones to sound again. Not sure if that's a Hangouts problem or a 6P problem.
    05-20-2016 04:35 PM
    It's pretty standard for messaging apps not to sound a notification tone if the app is open to that messaging thread (the rationale being that if the app is open to that thread, the user is probably looking at the thread and can see when a message arrives). Admittedly, there are situations when the user won't be looking directly at the screen, but I'm not aware of any setting to change this for Messenger or Hangouts. Other messaging apps will sound a tone, even when open to the thread (like Verizon's Messages+ app, I think). The way I avoid this issue is always to exit out of the messaging thread when I'm done with it.

As an aside, I've been noticing some issues with Hangouts on my Nexus 6P, where after some undetermined amount of time, new SMS messages or Hangouts IMs that arrive only cause the phone to vibrate instead of sound a tone, even though it's still set for an audible notification. I have to reboot the phone for the tones to sound again. Not sure if that's a Hangouts problem or a 6P problem.
    Any other messaging app I have tried has this feature (Textra and VZW Messages). The fact that it does work sometimes with Messenger or Hangouts tells me that this a constantly repeating bug. As I said sometimes it has worked and then an update comes along and then it no longer works.

It is pretty annoying. I understand that to avoid this I can just lock the screen but this is not something I should have to do.
    05-20-2016 05:29 PM
    Hmm, interesting. I've never seen it happen in Hangouts (and I don't use Messenger).
    05-21-2016 01:06 AM