11-14-2017 04:05 AM
114 12345
tools
    Do you not see the $9.99 option?

Posted via the Android Central App
    You have no clue. SMH.
    Not Quite Right likes this.
    05-24-2016 05:45 PM
    I was a diehard, hardcore Spotify user for years. Even now I sort of miss it, but Tidal is working well for my needs. It's improved a lot. ...enough to the point where I finally let go of my Spotify subscription and just use Tidal now. I launch Google Play Music sometimes, but outside of my personal music, uploaded to their servers, I see no incentive to use it. After using Spotify and Tidal for months, I'm thoroughly convinced, Tidal's sound quality, even on the 9.99 option is better than Spotify.
    05-24-2016 05:51 PM
    Tidal dies nothing for me. Was on GPM. But now on back on Spotify with their family plan!
    EgretOwl likes this.
    05-24-2016 06:21 PM
    Tidal does not have a limited selection. Who told this you this? Can you give me examples of major artist tidal is missing?

Maybe not a major artist to many but Peter Gabriel is missing from Tidal (Spotify as well last time I checked) He's one of my favorites, other than that I love the selections available on Tidal. I'm crazy enough to pop for the HIFI option but I download all music to my phone, I usually don't stream. The sound quality with HIFI is terrific.
    HotInEER likes this.
    05-24-2016 06:27 PM
    TIDAL vs Spotify: 5 Things You Need to Know

You're going off 2014 numbers my friend

Oh man thanks for the laughs. The comments on that article from Golden Ears can be so full of themselves. They can hear and see for miles and make sure to tell you you can't, because A: You just can't hear it or B: can't afford the equipment. Today the App still has a 3.5 rating. For me best comment from that article:
    "The fact that Kanye West is Connected to TIDAL makes me want to subscribe to Spotify instead of using it for free."
    05-24-2016 06:37 PM
    Where do you get those numbers? I have been using Tidal since day 1 and more than 75% of what I play streams lossless.
    05-24-2016 07:07 PM
    I moved to Colombia last year and GPM is the only service that will let play every song. Every other streaming service was hit and miss, mostly miss - even with a proxy.
    HotInEER likes this.
    05-24-2016 09:18 PM
    Wow, why do people get so defensive about software, for heaven's sake? It's sounds like an Apple v Android flame war on here!
    I have tried GPM. I am on my wife's Spotify family plan and I subscribe to Tidal HiFi, so here are my thoughts.
    My observations are based on using an LGV10 with some Yamaha EPH100s and a short earphone extender to fire up the high-gain mode on the amp. (Opinions vary on whether this does anything other than boost the volume, but to me the sound is, marginally, better). Also occasionally via a Sony amp and speakers as well.

1. Apps. Taste varies regarding design, and once you get used to how they work they all do the job (although Spotify is better than Tidal in many ways), but I have found stability issues on both Tidal and Spotify. I had real problems with Spotify 6 months or so ago, but it seems better now. Tidal is definitely worse, I have to restart it several times a week. Not a big problem, but annoying. GPM was rock solid for me.

2. PC interface - I compile playlists on a PC and, for me, Spotify is best. Tidal does the job though.

3. Social and sharing. Spotify wins this hands down. It is head and shoulders above other platforms for collaborative playlists and sharing songs. I haven't really tried Tidal for this since all my friends are on Spotify, but it doesn't seem to offer the same level of functionality. If you do this sort of thing a lot Spotify is king.

4. Library. To be honest I cannot see a huge difference between the 3. It looks like they all have deals with the main labels now, and sure there are a few things missing from Spotify (Radiohead's latest, Prince etc) which appear on GPM and Tidal, but in general if I find something missing in Tidal, it is usually absent from Spotify as well and vice versa. Other people's experience may well differ, depending on what they listen to.

5. Last and most importantly, Sound Quality This is the most difficult area to be objective on because there are so many variables, network, hardware and not least the human ear. There is also human bias - if we think or want to believe something sounds better (or worse) then it probably will. My comments are based on having the quality permanently set to the highest quality on all apps in all circumstances (I am usually on Wifi and have 10Gb a month of data so file size is not an issue really), so for example Spotify Extreme and Tidal Hifi and, I stress, this is one flawed human's opinion. So here goes...

GPM sounds fine, if a little flat. Bass can become a bit compressed and it seems to lack a certain richness compared to the other two - particularly when played through speakers. To me the difference is not discernible on my stock Sony earbuds, but is on the Yamahas - for example the bass on The Smiths' "There Is A Light..." doesn't have the same bounce and agility as on the other 2 services.

Spotify sounds a bit fuller than GPM, and in general sounds very good. Often songs sound just as good on Spotify as they do on Tidal HiFi, and, at half the price, it is very good value. If I had to bin Tidal for Spotify then I would be fine with that. There are occasions though when Tidal does make a difference...

Tidal - is it all that? If you have a phone with a Snapdragon DAC then almost definitely no. I couldn't tell the difference on my Sony Xperia. If you have an HTC10 or a V10 like me then maybe. For me, there are some tracks where the difference is clear, and I'll try and explain how. One of my reference tracks is Bowie's 'Heroes'. This is a song that on huge speakers sounds sweeping and epic, but on headphones sounds cluttered with the guitars clashing, the bass sounding crunchy and Eno's synths just getting in the way. With Tidal HiFi, whilst not perfect, there seems to be much better separation and a much wider soundstage which makes a massive difference compared to Spotify. Similarly, Jane Weaver's "The Silver Globe" album sounds a bit thin on Spotify, whereas on Tidal the bass has a bit more kick, the guitar stands out from the swathes of synths adding a bit more dynamism to the whole thing. These differences are subtle, and not consistent, but to my ears they are there.

So what is best? The answer of course is... it depends. In my opinion Tidal at times provides a discernible but mostly slight difference to Spotify, but whether it is good enough to warrant the greater cost and considerably weaker user experience is down to personal preference. I stream about 4 hours of music a day, so £20 a month seems good value to me, but if I tended to listen to locally stored music and used streaming for mainly discovery and commuting then I would say Spotify is perfect - or even GPM if I'm not into sharing and collaborating on playlists.

They're all a heck of a lot better than that old Sony Walkman cassette player us old guys remember having to use for music on the go years ago.
    05-25-2016 04:42 AM
    Having albums and artists exclusive to any streaming service is stupid and is ruining music. I'm glad the stuff I listen to doesn't pull that kind of crap.
    unda1 and EgretOwl like this.
    05-25-2016 06:41 AM
    In the original post you cite HiFi streaming as one of your points for Tidal being the best. Is several subsequent posts you push the $9.99 price point. HiFi streaming costs $19.99. You need to make up your mind if you want people to take you seriously.
    05-25-2016 08:36 AM
    Do you not see the $9.99 option?

I did misunderstand the breakdown. I was under the impression that listening to music was only under the $20 option. The HiFi icon was what threw me off.

However, Tidal was missing some stuff that I would prefer to listen to, so not a service for me. However, like others have said before, whatever works for you, great.
    05-25-2016 08:56 AM
    I have been a longtime Spotify user, ovee four years at this point. I love the app, and the music and selection is excellent. Are there acts I wish were on there? Yeah, mainly Prince, Peter Gabriel, Bob Seger, Garth Brooks...

That said, I have given Tidal two different chances. Once a year ago, and once last month. First try, I could not tell a difference on audio quality even streaming lossless. (I chalk that up to my LG G2) Last month, using my LG V10 and good headphones, yeah I could tell a difference on some tracks. For the majority, however, they sounded identical to Spotify extreme quality. Additionally the app does like to crash, and my wife would routinely have to restart the program on her laptop as it would stop in the middle of tracks and be totally unresponsive.

I do like Google Play and use the free storage to hold my tracks that aren't streamable (examples above) but I am not a huge fan of its interface.

I think you guys are right when you say it comes down to user preference, and at the moment mine is Spotify.
    05-25-2016 09:24 AM
    Nobody Uses Rhapsody....any...more?
    tnt4 and Jerry Hildenbrand like this.
    05-25-2016 09:57 AM
    They're all a heck of a lot better than that old Sony Walkman cassette player us old guys remember having to use for music on the go years ago.
    That really puts it into perspective for this relatively old guy. I had an original yellow 'sport' walkman back in the day.
    05-25-2016 10:30 AM
    For the $10/mo plan both Spotify and Tidal stream at 320Kbps. I would LOVE to know how anyone can claim to here better sound quality on one versus the other.
    05-25-2016 11:23 AM
    I used to use deezer as it came free with my ee contract. But when I renewed my contract deezer cancelled my subscription. Then I tried all the streaming services, apart from tidal as I can't bear the idea of further enriching Kanye West (pathetic I know). I settled for gpm, I like fairly esoteric stuff yet Google has it all. And it provides a discount on stuff bought from play store.
    05-25-2016 11:26 AM
    For the $10/mo plan both Spotify and Tidal stream at 320Kbps. I would LOVE to know how anyone can claim to here better sound quality on one versus the other.
    I don't think there is a difference other than Tidal being louder. Saying that, a difference might be heard if they were encoding from different quality sources or something, but I don't think that's the case. As I said, I find it hard to detect the difference between Spotifys 320Kbps and Tidal's 1411Kbps on a lot of music, so I doubt there is any difference between the services at 320Kbps.
    05-25-2016 11:36 AM
    I don't think there is a difference other than Tidal being louder. Saying that, a difference might be heard if they were encoding from different quality sources or something, but I don't think that's the case. As I said, I find it hard to detect the difference between Spotifys 320Kbps and Tidal's 1411Kbps on a lot of music, so I doubt there is any difference between the services at 320Kbps.
    There can definitely be a difference based on the actual encoding process, but I have a LOT of doubt that they would be audible to the human ear.

Odds are very good that they are both using the same master files from the studios.
    05-25-2016 11:41 AM
    1. The app is absolute garbage. It has a 3.5 Star Rating in the Play Store, with over a 1 in 4 ratings as 1 star. It hasn't been updated since March, so it's basically unsupportd.
    3. Lossless is inconsistent and doesn't work on many (or possibly most) songs
    4. The max bitrate for songs that are either A) not available in lossless B) being streamed on a lower connection speed is less than or equal to (depending on the song and conditions) to the competitors
    5. The library is limited (all 3 major competitors are at least 20% larger in libary)
    7. The fact that I'm up to 7 counts as 7 and I don't feel a need to continue....
    The ratings on this app is completely wrecked by trolls. The same way the Apple app is wrecked. Like you said, the disproportionately high number of 1 stars is an easy give away. The app is fine. I subscribed to Tidal HiFi for about a year before trying out the competition, like Qobuz, and I can tell you that Tidal has the major artists and a few exclusives on top of that. The Tidal app was extremely buggy and inconsistent early on, which could explain a lot of the low ratings too. Tidal are however more active in bug fixing and development than most apps, I'd say. Today it is a stable app with any feature you'd expect for music streaming. The catalogue sizes listed on Wikipedia are pretty much useless. No one is verifying any of those numbers the streaming services are claiming. I stopped using Qobuz simply because that is a service with too many missing artists and albums. I'm currently back on Spotify to see if I'm missing anything, but, I've noticed that the Spotify Windows app feels like it's stagnated in development.
    If you have network issues giving you trouble streaming in lossless you have the same choice with Tidal as any other app, you can pre-load music for offline listening.
    And to the claims that little or none of the music is in actual lossless format, I say bollox. I never came across an album I listened to that wasn't available in the lossless FLAC format.
    TL;DR your 7 point list is really not more than a 1 or 2 possible points list.

My personal opinion about the value of Tidal compared to the competition. The only direct competitor is Qobuz, which also provide lossless music (they even offer an even more expensive 24-bit alternative if you have too much money to give away), but Tidal has a lot more big artist and albums in their catalogue. You will need a decent pair of earphones to appreciate the lossless format, but I'm guessing that's a non-issue if you're paying €20 a month for streaming music. So, if your budget allows it, I'd recommend Tidal over any of the other options out there at he moment.
    05-25-2016 12:56 PM
    In the original post you cite HiFi streaming as one of your points for Tidal being the best. Is several subsequent posts you push the $9.99 price point. HiFi streaming costs $19.99. You need to make up your mind if you want people to take you seriously.
    There's nothing to make my mind up about. Tidal offers both services so they both should be taken into account while reviewing the app. No?

05-25-2016 12:56 PM
    The ratings on this app is completely wrecked by trolls. The same way the Apple app is wrecked. Like you said, the disproportionately high number of 1 stars is an easy give away. The app is fine. I subscribed to Tidal HiFi for about a year before trying out the competition, like Qobuz, and I can tell you that Tidal has the major artists and a few exclusives on top of that. The Tidal app was extremely buggy and inconsistent early on, which could explain a lot of the low ratings too. Tidal are however more active in bug fixing and development than most apps, I'd say. Today it is a stable app with any feature you'd expect for music streaming. The catalogue sizes listed on Wikipedia are pretty much useless. No one is verifying any of those numbers the streaming services are claiming. I stopped using Qobuz simply because that is a service with too many missing artists and albums. I'm currently back on Spotify to see if I'm missing anything, but, I've noticed that the Spotify Windows app feels like it's stagnated in development.
    If you have network issues giving you trouble streaming in lossless you have the same choice with Tidal as any other app, you can pre-load music for offline listening.
    And to the claims that little or none of the music is in actual lossless format, I say bollox. I never came across an album I listened to that wasn't available in the lossless FLAC format.
    TL;DR your 7 point list is really not more than a 1 or 2 possible points list.

My personal opinion about the value of Tidal compared to the competition. The only direct competitor is Qobuz, which also provide lossless music (they even offer an even more expensive 24-bit alternative if you have too much money to give away), but Tidal has a lot more big artist and albums in their catalogue. You will need a decent pair of earphones to appreciate the lossless format, but I'm guessing that's a non-issue if you're paying €20 a month for streaming music. So, if your budget allows it, I'd recommend Tidal over any of the other options out there at he moment.
    Tidal gets more hate because people actually know the guy that owns it. Sad but true

05-25-2016 12:57 PM
    There's nothing to make my mind up about. Tidal offers both services so they both should be taken into account while reviewing the app. No?

I believe what he meant was in your OP you were saying it was better simply due to the higher streaming -- once we countered that with well the price is doubled so it should be is when you came down to the $10 a month price.

Either way at $10 a month it is like all the other services. It boils down to "Do they have the music I like?" and that will vary from person to person.
    05-25-2016 01:44 PM
    Sidenote..I love that dog in the pic!!
    Aquila likes this.
    05-25-2016 01:45 PM
    Sooo...the OP really likes Tidal?
    05-25-2016 02:52 PM
    Nobody Uses Rhapsody....any...more?
    Marked as "Best Answer".

Well done good sir.
    05-25-2016 03:42 PM
114 12345