Samsung Pay works all the time...then not at all

naveeds786

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
I have an S7 Edge and one of the main appeals of the phone is Samsung Pay. I set it up when I first bought the phone a few months ago and it worked almost everywhere (the pharmacy, in a taxi, at fast dining restaurants). In the last month, I have tried using Samsung Pay in the same places as before or similar places and it's not working. There hasn't been a change in how I use Samsung Pay; I swipe up, put my finger on the home button, feel a vibration and see the progress bar. The terminal, however, usually says something like Card Payment Error or Could Not Read Card instead of the payment going through as it had before. It's happening with all my cards and at every terminal.

What's odd is that my wife has an S6 Edge+ and she can use Samsung Pay at the same terminals (she actually had to use it one time after my phone's Samsung Pay wouldn't go through). Even more odd is that she is using the same card; we have joint credit card accounts and the CC #s and CVV #s are the same. I know that the credit cards are compatible and the terminals are compatible, but there's an issue with my phone. I've tried re-installing the Samsung Pay app, but had no luck.

I haven't dropped my phone. I do keep my phone in a case, but it's in an official Samsung leather case. And my wife's phone is in a 3rd party case. Any clues as to what can be causing the issue?

naveeds786

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Hmm, not that I can remember. I may have added 2 more fingerprints, but that's about it. But if my fingerprints were causing an issue, wouldn't Samsung Pay not even allow me to try paying in the first place?

jexx

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
Hmm, not that I can remember. I may have added 2 more fingerprints, but that's about it. But if my fingerprints were causing an issue, wouldn't Samsung Pay not even allow me to try paying in the first place?

Have you tried to use your backup PIN if the fingerprint failed? You did set up the backup PIN for SP?

naveeds786

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
The fingerprint is not failing. SP is accepting my fingerprint and the app is trying to interface with the payment terminal, but at the payment terminal it is saying that there is a card read error.

20blks

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
The fingerprint is not failing. SP is accepting my fingerprint and the app is trying to interface with the payment terminal, but at the payment terminal it is saying that there is a card read error.

I've has card read error several times on a sale. I always tried "one more time" and it's usually successful

Posted via the Android Central App

jexx

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site

Gotcha, sorry for the misunderstanding to your question..

naveeds786

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions. I will give it a try without my case next time and see if it helps. I did go to a grocery store yesterday where I haven't used tried using SP before and it worked! Although what's odd is that it took longer than normal for the terminal to process the transaction. Usually it's about 5 or 10 seconds, but it took about 30 to 45 seconds for it to go through. I got nervous while waiting but was happy to see that it worked. I'll keep trying it out (and re-trying). Hopefully I get more successes consistently.

DroidFromVA

Nov 2, 2015
Visit site
I too have been having no luck with Samsung Pay over the past few days. One day it worked perfectly and the next, it was as if card terminals were ignoring the MST emitter. I don't know what is going on and there are no error messages. I also can't get Samsung Pay to work over NFC. I've tried places where I normally use it and I get error messages from the terminals saying that the payment source is not recognized. I normally use Android Pay for NFC stuff, but a few days ago, I figured I'd try Samsung Pay for a change, switched my phone to use Samsung Pay over NFC, and it hasn't worked at all since. The last time I was able to use it successfully was last Tuesday, when I used it several times at stores near my home.

Scott Currence

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
I too have been having no luck with Samsung Pay over the past few days. One day it worked perfectly and the next, it was as if card terminals were ignoring the MST emitter. I don't know what is going on and there are no error messages. I also can't get Samsung Pay to work over NFC. I've tried places where I normally use it and I get error messages from the terminals saying that the payment source is not recognized. I normally use Android Pay for NFC stuff, but a few days ago, I figured I'd try Samsung Pay for a change, switched my phone to use Samsung Pay over NFC, and it hasn't worked at all since. The last time I was able to use it successfully was last Tuesday, when I used it several times at stores near my home.
I've noticed the same. You get the vibration but it's like it's not transmitting the signal. It seems to be in the standalone older readers that Samsung pay always worked on.

DroidFromVA

Nov 2, 2015
Visit site
The phone is definitely doing something, but what it does, I'm not sure. I can see the battery level drop rapidly as I'm trying it over and over, so it's putting out a signal of some sort or sending power to the MST emitter. I've also seen that the app seems to be a bit twitchy in the past week. Just the other day, I'd put in my PIN and it wouldn't go forward, instead cutting back to the Samsung Pay start screen before you enter the PIN and then it will sometimes jump over to the payment process before jumping back to being inactive. I'm hoping it's just a software issue created by the last Samsung Pay update. One odd thing that I've also noticed is that the version of Samsung Pay on my phone (2.x) is more advanced than the one in the Google Play Store (1.x) and Samsung Pay is no longer in the Galaxy Apps store like it was before. I'm hoping the Marshmallow update will fix this.

atlsport

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
Agree. Samsung Pay seems to have stopped working for me at Publix in the last few weeks. All I get is "Swipe Card Again" message on the cc terminal. Seems to still work at other places I've used it. S7Edge.

DroidFromVA

Nov 2, 2015
Visit site
Looks like my Samsung Pay app is fouled up. I tried to use the NFC payment today at Best Buy, where it should work since they added Samsung Pay support, and it did not register. Switched over to Android Pay and my NFC worked perfectly. I'm not sure if I want to bother resetting it or simply waiting for another update from Samsung that might fix it.

marzxbarz

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
This happened to me this past week. I think it has something to do with the Samsung Pay framework.

I noticed all my charges going to card Y instead of X, so I unregistered card Y. MST and NFC stopped working afterwards. I assumed it was still looking for card Y. Even trying to get my card details from a Whole Foods GC, it would error out. I decided to reset the app and re-add all my cards. Everything works as expected again.

Who knows when the next Samsung Pay update will come-- since I use Samsung Pay so frequently I decided it was worth the inconvenience of re-adding my cards.

konvajw

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
I have the same experience often. I actually receive the checkmark on my phone (thinking that indicates that the transaction/payment was successful), but the cashier tells me that it didn't go through. I don't understand how that can be the case? This typically happens at a busy arena between hockey periods when concession lines are long, so wonder if it's something with their back-end systems not handling the volume during these peak periods (vs. something wrong with Samsung Pay itself)? Curious....

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
phone user