So I know that I can put a password on the wifi i broadcast out over 3g. My question is this:

Can I hookup to say Starbucks wifi then use wifitether to redirect it out and it use my encryption on my app for the password. Thus making it a secure connection vs open like the original?

Or is this not possible.

I hope this makes sense as too what I'm asking
    03-16-2011 08:44 AM
    Don't think it is possible, but I am not entirely sure.

To be clear, you are asking if it is possible to retransmit wifi to, say, your laptop as protected signal, correct?
    03-16-2011 08:57 AM
    Yes. So my phone would pick up Free hotspot (unsecure) I open up app and tether.

Can I retransmit my original hotspot and encrypt it?

Any way to test on the end product like check the ip or something? to see if it's 3g it's connected to or my phone?
    03-16-2011 09:06 AM
    I think Wifi Tether uses 3G to route...

In any case, I see a value to the functionality you are suggesting. Bumping for more input.
    03-16-2011 09:08 AM
    Bumping?
    03-16-2011 09:36 AM
    Bumping?
    Sorry... old school forum talk, meaning "keeping at the top" for more input.
    03-16-2011 09:49 AM
    gotcha. Thanks...how exactly does one do this?
    03-16-2011 09:53 AM
    I think what you are asking for is an SSH tunnel connection. Basically you would connect to a source and create a secure tunnel inside it and then use the tunneled connection as your own. I have never had enough need to use this type of security personally, but it is an interesting concept. I do not think there are any wireless apps that can do this but you may check out:
    SSH Tunneling On Android | Shantanu's Technophilic Musings

They talk about using android in an SSH tunnel. You may also want to look up thinks like a VPN connection and other stuff. I think you may be capable of doing something like you want but you would have to make the connection more like WiFi point -> 'wireless' -> Phone -> 'usb tether' -> laptop. Sorry I don't have more on this but hope it helps some.

Edit: Maybe checking out this could help you also: http://code.google.com/p/get-a-robot-vpnc/
    mr.seth.price likes this.
    03-16-2011 12:00 PM
    With a little hacking and custom software development I'm sure you could set this up exactly how you want, but the simple answer is no. The Wi-Fi hotspot tethering apps are using a carrier's data network as its source which the device then rebroadcasts. I don't think you are even able to connect to Wi-Fi when using the Wi-Fi tethering (correct me if I am wrong).
    03-16-2011 12:54 PM
    With a little hacking and custom software development I'm sure you could set this up exactly how you want, but the simple answer is no. The Wi-Fi hotspot tethering apps are using a carrier's data network as its source which the device then rebroadcasts. I don't think you are even able to connect to Wi-Fi when using the Wi-Fi tethering (correct me if I am wrong).
    This morning (after I rooted) I was on my home wifi and turned on the app and it said that My evo was available to be connected too (on computer) I just was unsure if it was coming from redirecting my own wifi or 3g cause the icons never changed on the phone to 3g
    03-16-2011 03:58 PM
    gotcha. Thanks...how exactly does one do this?
    If this in reference to "bump" ... simply saying bump means that you're posting with the only purpose of keeping it at the top - there's no special button or anything.

Onto the issue at hand ... am I the only one still wondering why you'd need to teather wifi from phone to computer? Why not just go straight to computer?
    03-18-2011 09:24 AM
    If this in reference to "bump" ... simply saying bump means that you're posting with the only purpose of keeping it at the top - there's no special button or anything.

Onto the issue at hand ... am I the only one still wondering why you'd need to teather wifi from phone to computer? Why not just go straight to computer?
    it was in reference to the bump part.

The reason is this. Any self respecting identity theft can glean stuff of my internet session on an unsecure (public) network fairly easy with not much resistance. I was wondering if i could connect to the free wifi then run it through the app and make the evo redirect it with my password encryption on it.

Making banking and other more "confidential" moments of browsing more secure.

Only reason.
    03-18-2011 04:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD