Allo & Duo

Curious if anyone else is looking forward to Allo and Duo messaging apps, and if you foresee it supporting Google Voice or just Hangouts email address? How many Google Voice users are there on here, I've been using it for years and I love it but it is lacking a bit in support compared to iMessage. Is Allo and Duo their updated app to replace Hangouts and to compare to iMessage?

Thank you,
    06-23-2016 10:41 AM
    What's up Shane? Looks like you and I are the only ones interested to see what Google has in store for its Voice customers!! LOL I am a bit surprised that no one has chimed in since you original post a few months ago.

In any case, Duo has since been released and we obviously saw no Google Voice/Hangouts love in that app. I am still curious to see what happens with Allo, but I can probably bet that the end result will be the same. Which leaves the question, "What should I do next?"

I am seriously considering ditching Google Voice all together. I recently purchased the Note 7 and went back to Verizon and it seems that I'm missing out on a lot of new features since I last used Big Red - namely, VoLTE, video calling, advanced calling, message plus, etc. (I'm pretty sure Voice users can't take advantage of these features, no?)

I just found the instructions to port my Google Voice number over to Verizon. But I think I will at least wait to see what Allo has in store for us before I pull that trigger.
    08-31-2016 11:32 AM
    I have Allo and it let me add my Voice number but I can't seem to receive my txts in the app. I turned off SMS integration in Hangouts for my Voice #. Stock messaging app picks up my Voice messages, not Allo, though.
    09-21-2016 06:30 AM
    It doesn't look like you can set Allo as the default SMS app...big fail with that miss!
    09-21-2016 11:47 AM
    I must say that I am NOT impressed with Allo. I find Google Voice useful for Visual Voice Mail for my Verizon Prepaid phone. I also find Google Voice useful for occasional outbound calls from my house as I don't always get good cell coverage at home and I don't have a land line.

I have never had a need for Hangouts.

At this point, I would just prefer using Android's default SMS/MMS app and If I want to do visual calls use Skype as just about everyone has the Skype app installed versus Allo, Duo, Hangouts, or Google Voice....

I am a big fan of Imessage as I used to own an Iphone. I was hoping Allo was going to be Googles answer to that. I do not plan to install Allo.
    09-21-2016 05:08 PM
    09-30-2016 12:09 AM
    Does one REALLY think that SMS was the 5th most requested requested suggestion JUST ahead of themes???

I don't mind allowing Google to monitor my browsing habits (search) and location (GPS and mapping)...But I draw the line at allowing them to read my emails (no gmail for me) and read my messages (allo)...
    09-30-2016 07:46 AM