Google Talk Connection Issues

woebtz

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
Ok, I did a search and found some people with similar issues, but nothing that answered my actual question. Hopefully I didnt miss it, but if i did, I apologize in advance.

My question is about the connection issues some of us Droid users have had with google talk. I consistently lose my connection to google talk.

Signing out and signing back in often leaves me with it saying that all of my contacts are off line when I know this to not be true. And also, I often appear away to my friends when I'm not (and yes I have the auto away option turned off)

I have seen these problems reported and it appears no one has found any type of solution. But I was curious if clearing the app data may affect this. It doesnt appear to me that every droid user is having these issues so there must be something different about my situation.

So I guess I'm simply asking if there are any suggestions for solutions, and whether clearing the app data may help.

Thanks in advance.

Jared DiPane

Feb 7, 2010
www.twitter.com
Question, do you have GTalk logged in anywhere else? A pc, web client of gmail? I noticed if i have another client open, without realizing it, i have some issues, but once its closed I never have an issue.

Is your phone rooted, or flashed to another rom?

freshnezzz#AC

Jan 28, 2010
Visit site
I think i know what if i understand correctly, because i do have issue where i have perfect signal, but ill get a message saying here is the gtalk conversation you missed. If this is your problem i'm sure its software, cause even if i were to toggle between wifi and data i don't lose connection so thats my best guess.

johnatthebar

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
I have this issue and have found no solution. The issue is far worse when signed on in another location, but pops up regardless.

It seems insane to me that RIM has a better IM solution for Google Talk then Android does. I know that with RIM its a matter of the service residing on the server side, but its a phone runing an OS by Google, and its a Google service, and they have seemingly unlimited resources. Seriously? How is this a problem?

Sorry. end.rant

In answer to your question woebtz, I have no solutions yet, but to minimize it make sure you are not set to go "away" when in standby, try to stay signed on one place at a time, and be aware of the switch anytime your data connection cycles (ie - switching to and from wifi).

woebtz

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
The problem affects me whether or not im signed in elsewhere. And I am on an unrooted phone. 2.0.1

As for the last comment, I understand what you are saying, but that has not been my issue. And I almost always lose connection to gtalk when I switch from wifi to 3g.

Thanks for your help so far commenters...any other thoughts are welcome.

vaspo

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
data

How can i switch off the data service on the phone when i trip out of US?
But still use the phone to make and receive calls?
Thanks

evo new

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I am having the same problem as woebtz - has anyone discovered a solution in the last 6 months? I'm using Evo Shift, my main email is Gmail and my main "chatting" is GTalk. Also brand new phone and not rooted.
Thanks

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie