Can Google Maps be used as a GPS

Ronald

May 12, 2010
Visit site
I have searched (maybe using the wrong terms), but cannot find the answer to the question in the title. Is there a way to turn Google Maps into a GPS, that is, to have it run until I shut off the phone and prevent it from shutting off on the pre-set screen time out?

I am using Google Maps on an Evo 4G, Froyo 2.2, rooted with Myn's Warm 2.2 Rls 5.

Thanks in advance.

Ron

Ronald

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Yes, not in the traditional sense though. You have to keep the map in the window manually.

My phone's display is set to shut off after 1 minute. Other than tapping on the screen ever 55 seconds, how do I do this? I could not find any setting in Google Maps (or the display) to prevent the display from shutting off.

BSG75

Custom User Title
May 11, 2010
Visit site
If the screen turns off, what do you want it to do? What kind of output are you trying to get from it? If you want it to talk to you, I'm pretty sure the Navigation mode keeps on talking even if the screen is turned off.

Latitude will keep on working even if the screen is turned off. I have used it while running races for family and friends to track me.

myTracks [Google app] will keep recording if the screen is turned off.

If you do want to screen to remain on, I recommend the KeepScreen app.
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.tni.KeepScreenLite&feature=search_result

Reactions: Ronald

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Ron, are you talking about using Google Navigation? The screen doesn't cut off in navigation mode.

Or you can just turn on car mode. With car mode on, the screen won't cut off.

Reactions: Ronald

kamtsa

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
I have searched (maybe using the wrong terms), but cannot find the answer to the question in the title. Is there a way to turn Google Maps into a GPS, that is, to have it run until I shut off the phone and prevent it from shutting off on the pre-set screen time out?

Yes, actually it is a great GPS, better than everything I have used so far, as long as you have cellular connection. That's why I keep my old Gamin in the trunk as a backup.

takeshi

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Is there a way to turn Google Maps into a GPS, that is, to have it run until I shut off the phone and prevent it from shutting off on the pre-set screen time out?
That's really more of a question of keeping the screen active. There's no need to "turn Google Maps into a GPS" as it already is GPS enabled and offers GPS navigation.

There are a number of ways adjust the screen timeout. My Droid has an option to keep the screen on while connected to USB power. There are also a number of apps, including the one mentioned above and Tasker. I use the latter.

Ronald

May 12, 2010
Visit site
That's really more of a question of keeping the screen active. There's no need to "turn Google Maps into a GPS" as it already is GPS enabled and offers GPS navigation.

There are a number of ways adjust the screen timeout. My Droid has an option to keep the screen on while connected to USB power. There are also a number of apps, including the one mentioned above and Tasker. I use the latter.

Thanks. I'll use the dock mode for a while. It seems the easiest, as I have the Seidio car dock already.

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. I'll use the dock mode for a while. It seems the easiest, as I have the Seidio car dock already.

You don't even need the actual dock (unless you're driving, of course). You can run the Car Panel app at any time (e.g. hiking) and then just hit the map button. Nothing to download. Nothing to attach.