Confusion about the Amazon App Store

JamesKBoyd

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Two questions:

1. Why is this necessary? The Android App Store is a perfectly fine way to find apps.

2. Will the markets be identical? Will they have the same exact apps as each other? I'm leaning towards "no", because Amazon has Angry Birds Rio and the Android Market does not.

This is not needed at all. Why can't we just have ONE centralized place to find apps? Maybe I am missing something. I downloaded the Amazon App Store this morning.

DenverRalphy

Retired Network Mod
May 11, 2010
Visit site
1. Why is this necessary? The Android App Store is a perfectly fine way to find apps.
IMHO, the android market needs a significant amount of work as there is a lot of room for improvement.

This is not needed at all. Why can't we just have ONE centralized place to find apps? Maybe I am missing something. I downloaded the Amazon App Store this morning.
Competition promotes innovation and improvement. I'm all for it. The two biggest things I find very nice about the Amazon Appstore is the Free App of the Day (of which the developer will still get paid), and the Test Drive feature.

Xopher

Trusted Member
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
Competition is always a good thing. If there is only once source for getting information, then that once source controls what and how you get it. That's not always a bad thing (vetting apps and such), but it also means that (like iApp Store) they can reject certain apps based on their own reasons.

Hopefully, we'll see easier ways to categorize and find apps, and maybe some apps that appear in one place or another (like Angry Birds Rio).

I know, on the BlackBerry side, purchasing through App World at the beginning was tedious. They've done a lot to improve it, which is a good thing. It was a lot easier to go through CrackBerry/MobiHand to purchase apps.

I'll probably stick to using the Marketplace, but if there is something that is a good deal on Amazon, then at least there is that extra option...

takeshi

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Why is this necessary? The Android App Store is a perfectly fine way to find apps.
Why not? As stated above, competition and choice always benefit the user. If you want to be locked into one app store there's a company named after a fruit that might interest you.

You don't have to use the Amazon Market if you don't see the point.

Will the markets be identical?
Seems like that would defeat the purpose of having another market.

Reactions: JamesKBoyd

Mobius360

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
Isn't there some other Appstores, getjar comes to mind. I don't mind Amazon making their own version. If they can deliver a better experience I will use it. So far it seems fine, free angry birds rio and today world series poker. I will be checking the free paid apps for sure.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae